HP 6735s memory puzzle

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by miket82, Nov 21, 2015.

1. miket82

miket82

I'm used to working with laptops but this has me puzzled.

I have acquired an old (dated 2009 I believe) HP Compaq 6735s running with an AMD Turion. Is working fine but want to upgrade the memory from its 2Gb to 4Gb Easy I thought, remove a single screw and add an extra memory board.

However, and I can't quite believe this, no spare slot to add any memory. Everything I look at, from H\W diagnosis and the HP support site tells me there are two slots but look as I might I can only see one. The HP video showing how to upgrade/change memory is not working on any of the 5 browsers I have tried it with so no help there. There does seem to be something missing as above the single slot there is a gap before a row of vertical contacts and to each side are what seems to be the remains of possible broken memory clips that might have held the second memory in place. I can't find any photographs to clearly show what should be there.

I know some HP's have the primary memory slot hidden underneath the mobo but nothing on the HP site indicates that this laptop is one of those.

I could insert a single 4Gb board in the single slot but the price of one of those is as much as the machine is worth.
    Anyone out there with any info? Or do I accept that I'm stuck using 2Gb and a 32 bit O/S.

In the meantime I have got it running fine with Win 7 Pro x32, all the HP drivers are accepted and work fine and all MS updates install without hassle.

Over to those wiser and older than I.

miket82, Nov 21, 2015
  2. miket82

something back

something back, Nov 21, 2015
  3. miket82

miket82

Thanks for that.
    The photos are what I was looking for.
    And yup, the primary slot has gone missing so 2Gb is what I'm stuck with. Happy days.

miket82, Nov 22, 2015
Ask a Question