Howto: Intel graphics driver 2.2.1 (Updated)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by annafil, Aug 31, 2008.

1. annafil

annafil

SuzuKube: yep that's why you upgrade the Xorg package like I described :) you also need to make sure you made all the changes in the xorg.conf file

annafil, Sep 26, 2008
  2. annafil

SuzuKube

Yes it Was the Xorg package :) I upgraded all is okay now!!! Thanks very much annafil ^ ^

SuzuKube, Sep 27, 2008
  3. annafil

annafil

Glad that sorted it out :)

annafil, Sep 27, 2008
  4. annafil

eks

Re: Howto: Intel graphics driver 2.2.1, EXA and compiz+video

I've tried searching this thread, and the forum, and the web (maybe way too quickly :p) but could not find more information about fedora-release. What does it do?

I've just used it and now can finally find fusion-icon and make compiz work, but when I try to update packages it gives me a veeeeeeeeery long list of updates available and when I try to apply them there are unresolved dependencies that does not allow it to go through:

Of course I can unselect just these two and proceed, but I thought about asking about it first before braking anything... :)

eks

eks, Sep 29, 2008
  5. annafil

paul_one

Annafil, (or anyone really)

I've been looking around on google and this forum, and both Intel and Acer sites while I wait for my fedora 10 install image to finish downloading - BUT I can't find the answer to my question really.
    Finding this forum entry only adds more questions to the pot!

For example, where did you get this driver 2.2.1?
    From http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html ?
    Is it the 2D or 3D driver?
    Does the driver come normally as part of X.org now (I shall continue searching for this answer but I'm not sure) ?
    What is the actual graphic chip for the AAO? Intel 945G?
    Are there no good drivers like the nvidia/AMD ones (tut-tut for the Open source fore-runner!) ?

Is it possible that I can find these answers here?

Thanks for any reply, I do apreciate the time given to this rambling forum entry.

paul_one, Oct 7, 2008
  6. annafil

annafil

paul_one: for more than a year now (maybe closer to two) Intel has been providing the graphics driver for all linux systems. They're all originally from the same source - Intel - just that different distributions like Fedora, Linpus, Ubuntu, ship with different versions of that driver. Sometimes, developers from Ubuntu or another distribution would made some changes to these drivers to make them even better.

The driver in this particular forum thread in not only newer than the one that comes with Linpus, but also has Ubuntu patches and changes, which help with performance and stability.

There is no distinction between "open source" and "manufacturer" drivers when it comes to intel graphics drivers because Intel writes open source drivers for the community to use as they like. THey've been writing these drivers for years now and the Intel drivers are much more stable and compatible than a lot of ati/nividia drivers on linux.

Finally... The AAO graphics driver is the 945GM, soemtimes called the 950... its essentially the same thing.

annafil, Oct 9, 2008
  7. annafil

EasyTarget

Re: Howto: Intel graphics driver 2.2.1, EXA and compiz+video

Stop. I'd STRONGLY advise against trying to update everything.. :!:
    .. basically you will overwrite most of the acer/linpus customised and optimised stuff with the latest Fedora8 versions; this is what adding fedora-release does, it lets you see/use all the latest Fedora packages from the Fedora archive. The linpus specific packages have a .lp extension I believe, although there are rumours that some dont.. (grrr..)

This sounds like a great way to break stuff and loose access to the more obscure hardware in the system.. I seem to remember seeing someone (Macles?) specifically say to only update individual packages as necesscary, but leave everything else well alone. I looked at the O/P from sudo yum update and decided to answer No for fear of having to restore and reconfigure my system (again).. I won't update anything unless I've seen it discussed in the forums/blogs first, or I can see that the update has a very narrow scope and I have a real need for it.

Of course, if you do decide to go for it, start a new thread and let us know what happens :D

EasyTarget, Oct 22, 2008
  8. annafil

linker3000

Thanks for the good howto.

Everything is telling me the new drivers are loaded but - for example - Egoboo says it cannot run because I have no hardware acceleration - how or what can I check to see if I can fix this?

Thanks

linker3000, Nov 9, 2008
  9. annafil

annafil

turn off compiz, then and only then open a terminal and then try running

Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    Does it say,

annafil, Nov 9, 2008
  10. annafil

linker3000

Final Edit: Damn - I had a problem with the 'virtual' line in xorg.conf - I thought I had edited and saved my changes but apparently not.

Thanks.

linker3000, Nov 9, 2008
  11. annafil

malv

I have no installed any additional drivers, or this 2.2.1 or newer
    I have this installed on my Acer One (1GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Disk, original acer linpus, no mods)
    fedora and livna repos activated.

mesa-libGLU 7.0.2-3.fc8
    xorg-x11-drv-i810 2.1.1-7.fc8
    xorg-x11-server-xorg 1.3.0.0-47.fc8

and my xorg.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "intel"
    # Option "monitor-LVDS" "Monitor0"
    # Option "monitor-VGA" "Monitor1"

# Option "Clone" "true"
    # Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,VGA"
    # BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    # Screen 0
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    Option "FramebufferCompression" "off"
    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
    Option "ExaNoComposite" "true"
    Option "CacheLines" "1980"
    VideoRam 229396
    EndSection

and modiffied /etc/profile
    with:

export INTEL_BATCH=1

that's all, then run glxgears, and my result is:

[user@localhost ~]$ glxgears
    4661 frames in 5.0 seconds = 932.046 FPS
    4713 frames in 5.0 seconds = 942.464 FPS
    4796 frames in 5.0 seconds = 959.150 FPS
    4779 frames in 5.0 seconds = 955.787 FPS
    4773 frames in 5.0 seconds = 954.563 FPS
    4788 frames in 5.0 seconds = 957.450 FPS
    :D

but if I have firefox 2 running, this is what i get

[user@localhost ~]$ glxgears
    2761 frames in 5.0 seconds = 552.094 FPS
    2788 frames in 5.0 seconds = 556.987 FPS
    2785 frames in 5.0 seconds = 556.859 FPS
    2779 frames in 5.0 seconds = 555.668 FPS
    2793 frames in 5.0 seconds = 558.533 FPS

big drop eh?? :eek:

Try your test with no programs running, maybe i'll update to firefox 3, and see if there is the same issue.. :roll:

does anyone get better fps with this 2.2.1 driver?? or any other??? i saw that an asus with atom and same intet video got 1100 fps, is it possible with acer?? :?:

thanks in advance

--edited--

I upgraded to firefox 3, and almost the same thing, got 650 fps, but the real problem is with flash, when i open a simple page, move over 850 fps..

So, anyone getting better fps, my highest is 970 fps ..

malv, Nov 13, 2008
  12. annafil

fizikz

Thanks for this great howto. I went through it yesterday and it worked great. Unfortunately when I booted today, the hardware acceleration is gone. Running the above command, it reports that direct rendering is off. Any help? It was perfect just yesterday!

EDIT: I found the fix. I had increased the Virtual screen space to more than 2048 in my xorg.conf. After reducing it to 2048, the 3d drivers load again! Just as a note, I found the error by looking through /var/log/Xorg.0.log

fizikz, Dec 25, 2008
  13. annafil

Zorofroozo

it did not work for me. i had the kwizart and rpm-fusion repo's with testing enabled. I updated xorg and compiz with the provided commands but x wouldn't start

this was my error,

Code:
    [user@localhost~]startxfce4
    XSETROOT: unable to open display '0:0'
    SmartCommon Input Method 1.4.7

xsdb: Connection refused
    xsdb: Can't open display '0:0'
    Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd ...
    Launching simple Config module ...

(xfce4-session:2405):Gtk-WARNING **: Cannot open display: :0.0
    [user@localhost~] Loading socket FrontEnd module ...
    Starting SCIM as daemon ...
    Launching socket Config module ...
    Creating backend ...
    Loading X11 FrontEnd module ...
    Failed to laud X11 FrontEnd module ...
    Failed to launch SCIM
    i reverted back to my old xorg.conf, but that didn't work, i tried using the i815 driver (remember i815, was not sure if the name was correct but i could at least try) But that also failed.

i can't give you my xorg.conf's i had no way of preserving the xorg.conf, and i didn't seem to succeed in mounting my ntfs or usb stick(used the wrong command i suppose, gonna write that one down now:p)

now i reverted back to a clean 1.0.9B install and i'm installing the acer updates at this very moment. I'll try to install the new driver on a clean system and keep you guys posted

Zorofroozo, Jan 28, 2009
  14. annafil

malv

IF i'm not wrong, dont use xorg 1.5 with newest intel driver, it is slower, becasue they cut some cheats we use here....

malv, Jan 28, 2009
  15. annafil

Zorofroozo

just updates to 1.3.0.4, do i need a higher xorg version or do i need to update more then what i did with this command?
    Code:
     sudo yum update xorg-x11-server-Xorg

should i do a
    Code:
     sudo yum update xorg-x11-server*  OR  sudo yum update xorg-x11*
    i want to be sure this time. Reinstall took me half a day:s

Zorofroozo, Jan 29, 2009
  16. annafil

Zorofroozo

any idea here? hum?

Zorofroozo, Jan 30, 2009
  17. annafil

malv

Not sure, I use Yumex for that.. so I only select the ones I wanna upgrade or downgrade (with the yum plugin-downgrade.. There are updated versions in yum, but I decided not to update, I keep the versions I posted before, because I see some people that had upgraded and their 3D acceleration slows down.

I only use Fedora and livna (or freshRPMS) repos activated. Stable packages, no test.....Nothing else....

malv, Jan 30, 2009
  18. annafil

Zorofroozo

but i need the new driver. the current one is from 2006 and that one doesn't support Vertex Shaders, and i need that:p

Zorofroozo, Feb 1, 2009
  19. annafil

Arsey

Hey guys, hope you can help me with this.

Basically I have done step 1 and that is fine. But when it comes to step 2, the first command "chmod +x install*" doesn't seem to do anything, and the second command "sudo ./install_intel-2.2.1.sh" then gives me the error:

mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/share/xserver-xorg/': File exists
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci/': File exists

I then restarted and everything is quite laggy, as if there are no graphics drivers installed.

When extracting the 2.2.1 files, I just created a folder in Documents, then right clicked and clicked open terminal here. Should this be fine?

I have updated both compiz-manager and xorg-x11-server-Xorg so these should be fine.

Thanks

Arsey, Feb 18, 2009
  20. annafil

annafil

The chmod commant does not have an ouput. It merely gives the file executable permissions.

To check if the driver has been properly upgraded you can try

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    That should output a faily long log file, you need to look for this bit, the version is highlighted in bold. Mine is different because I'm using a new version of Ubuntu, yours should say 2.2.1

Also please post the contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so that we can see what's going on.

annafil, Feb 19, 2009
Ask a Question