Howto: Intel graphics driver 2.2.1 (Updated)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by annafil, Aug 31, 2008.

1. annafil

annafil

Re: Howto: Intel graphics driver 2.2.1, EXA and compiz+video

change this line
    Virtual 2704 1050

newer compiz doesn't work with anything above 2048 for either value

annafil, Sep 11, 2008
  2. annafil

mpmf

Yep, that was it. Thank you very much.

mpmf, Sep 11, 2008
  3. annafil

annafil

:D np

annafil, Sep 11, 2008
  4. annafil

Demibeard

Thank you for the how to, this is the dogs wotsits! :D

Demibeard, Sep 12, 2008
  5. annafil

Flux101

I just installed this, and it just made me slightly choppy video playback even worse.... what could've gone wrong? Using the cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep 2.2.1 command earlier in the thread, I get the response compiled for 1.3.0, module version = 2.2.1, which suggests it went through alright? But videos are barely watchable now.... before they used to skip a couple of frames every few seconds, but now it's really jerky...

Flux101, Sep 14, 2008
  6. annafil

annafil

You're gonna have to give me some details here :)

let's start with:

1. your entire xorg.conf file
    2. which video player are you using?
    3. is your video player using any other rendering mode besides default?
    4. have you changed anything in gstreamer-properties?

annafil, Sep 14, 2008
  7. annafil

Flux101

Well I've just reinstalled Linpus and have a fresh install now (I'd only just done it today so no big deal, been playing with it).

One thing I've noticed - I don't have an xorg-x11-xserver-Xorg package to update? There isn't anything with that name in Package Manager or in the Software Updater.

VLC was the video player I was using, all with default settings and compiz effects not enabled (although I will be doing this later).

I originally tried installing the graphics drivers after I'd done script to enable a usable desktop as in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1256 Now I'm going to try the graphics first, then the desktop one and see if it makes a difference, but I'm a bit confused as to why I don't have the xorg-x11-xserver-Xorg package.

Flux101, Sep 14, 2008
  8. annafil

annafil

Ok well if you look at my instructions again, you will see there is more to them that just installing the driver. You must update xorg.conf as well as I have described to update to newer rendering settings.

If you have already done this, then please post your xorg.conf.

I also strongly recommend when playing with the system to do only one thing at a time, make sure everything works and then proceed. I would upgrade the driver last, and when you redo the driver upgrade, make sure you do all the steps.

Try the xorg-x11-server-Xorg for the package name

annafil, Sep 14, 2008
  9. annafil

Flux101

I followed the instructions, edited the xorg.conf and everything. I have the same problem now after redoing everything again, including the script (tried it before and after now, same result). I updated xorg-x11-server-Xorg, since I don't appear to have xserver-Xorg.

I've also noticed that it's slow to update while typing this message in Firefox, so something's definitely messed up!

Here's my xorg.conf file (although replacing it with my backup doesn't fix it, so perhaps the problem isn't here?):

Code:
    # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display
    Section "ServerFlags"
    	Option "DontZap" "yes"
    	Option "DontVTSwitch" "yes"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Default Layout"
    	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    	InputDevice    "Synaptics Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
    	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    	Driver      "kbd"
    	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
            Option      "XkbLayout" "gb,us(euro)"
            Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier "Synaptics Mouse"
            Driver     "synaptics"
            Option     "Device" "/dev/psaux"
            Option     "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    	Option	   "LeftEdge"  "1700"
      	Option	"RightEdge"     "5300"
      	Option	"TopEdge"       "1700"
      	Option	"BottomEdge"    "4200"
      	Option	"FingerLow"	"25"
      	Option	"FingerHigh"	"30"
      	Option	"MaxTapTime"	"180"
      	Option	"MaxTapMove"	"220"
      	Option	"VertScrollDelta" "100"
      	Option	"MinSpeed"	"0.09"
      	Option	"MaxSpeed"	"0.18"
      	Option	"AccelFactor"	"0.0015"
      	Option	"SHMConfig"	"on"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Mouse0"
    	Driver      "mouse"
    	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier  "Monitor0"
    	Modeline  "1024x600" 48.96 1024 1064 1168 1312 600 601 604 622 -HSync +VSync
    #	Option	"Above"	"Monitor1"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Videocard0"
       Driver      "intel"
    #   Option      "monitor-LVDS" "Monitor0"
    #   Option       "monitor-VGA" "Monitor1"
    #   Option       "Clone" "true"
    #   Option   "MonitorLayout"   "LVDS,VGA"
    #   BusID   "PCI:0:2:0"
       Option      "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
       Option      "FramebufferCompression" "off"
       Option       "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
       Option       "ExaNoComposite" "true"
       VideoRam   229396
       Option       "CacheLines" "1980"
    #   Screen   0
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen0"
    	Device     "Videocard0"
    	Monitor	    "Monitor0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    		Modes    "1024x600" "800x600" "640x480"
             Virtual 1024 768
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

And I added export INTEL_BATCH=1

to the bottom of /etc/profile

Flux101, Sep 14, 2008
  10. annafil

annafil

Ok, you should have the export batch option set as well then. (Althought without it things should work as usual).

I'm pretty sure it's not a driver issue, and more likely a configuration issue somewhere. Your xorg looks fine.

Double check that in "gstreamer-properties", the video output is set to "X11...Xv". I'd also make sure VLC is using default options: Settings->video->Output modules->Advanced Options. Make sure it's set to default...

If those check out, post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file...

As a last resort, you can try downgrading the driver (this is also a custom one, with proper colours, none of that bands nonsense) http://www.mediafire.com/?xudwd9sddhf. You may have to restore xorg to the original to get better performance out of the older driver.

If you're still having slowness issues, it's another customization. If the slowness is gone, I'd appreciate a post back so I can figure out what's wrong...

annafil, Sep 14, 2008
  11. annafil

Flux101

I tried all the options available in gstreamer-properties, and when I click test, none of the options allow the bar to move smoothly across, it sticks every second or so. I didn't bother looking in VLC, as the problem seems to be before it's even getting to VLC when it's not even updating the screen smoothly when I was just entering text in the terminal or Firefox.

I was just about to post my /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but in the process of copying and pasting, it locked up and won't boot, so I'm reinstalling again! I guess one of the options in gstreamer made it totally unstable and it had an aneurysm.

I'm wondering if there's something in the custom desktop script that's conflicting? The hardware seems OK, I just tested a live-USB of Ubuntu to be sure (copied a video to the SSD and ran it from there to test it wasn't the hard drive being strange too).

Flux101, Sep 14, 2008
  12. annafil

annafil

I thought of the two conflicting, but from the list of files that I can see that script modifying, I don't see how. It could be a cumulative effect. That said, that script is known to have quite a few issues because it removes a lot of stuff.

Have you tried the less destructive desktop switch here:

http://www.iphpbb3.com/forum/39151476nx ... -t218.html

Also, to save yourself the trouble of a reinstall next time, this is a pretty easy backup method

http://aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopi ... =39&t=3182

annafil, Sep 14, 2008
  13. annafil

Flux101

I'm just wondering now if it's actually the updates from Acer? It seems nobody has had this problem when most people used it before the most recent updates from Acer, so maybe there's something from them that's messing something up?

Thanks for the backup thread, I've been looking for something like that for a while.

I'm just looking at the alternative way of getting the desktop installed, I'll give the way I've been trying another go before I try it, but that's the next thing I'll try if this fails (EDIT: actually, I will try it - I just installed VLC on a clean install, and there's no stuttering of videos whatsoever - and this is before I install the drivers from this thread, so there must be something in the custom desktop script being odd).

I've just installed, and I'll install the graphics driver without installing the Acer updates, then the custom desktop script and see what happens. If the the graphics driver doesn't work on a clean install, I guess there's something odd going on with my machine.

Just a thought - I'm not extracting it in a weird way am I? I open the tar with Xarchiver, then just click extract, and it creates intel-2.2.1, from which I open a new terminal and do the commands. That should work, right? Should it be extracted into a different place? It's just that I noticed on your first post, it says to open a terminal in the newly created intel-driver-compiled - is the name of the folder significant?

Flux101, Sep 14, 2008
  14. annafil

annafil

How you extract it shouldn't matter :)

I have all the latest Acer updates too (it's how i keep track of stuff going wrong with these scripts), and my video driver is fine, so I doubt it's that... I think you just needed a fresh install.

annafil, Sep 14, 2008
  15. annafil

Flux101

I'm not sure it was a fresh install problem - I've installed it 3 times just today trying to fix it! I think it must've been conflicting scripts somewhere, because without installing the custom desktop one, it allows smooth video out of the box (well, after installing VLC rather than finding codecs), and also I don't have any problems after installing the graphics driver. I'll just have to install everything manually instead I guess... or perhaps it will be OK to run the custom desktop script on top of the drivers install... although if it dropped frames on a clean install, I guess it will only do the same again. Thanks for the help. :)

One unrelated thing I've noticed though - Firefox 2 seems a lot faster than FF3...

Flux101, Sep 14, 2008
  16. annafil

annafil

ff3 has some database quirks: look through macles.blogspot.com for ff3 related issues, there's a solution somewhere there.

opera runs very nicely on the aspire one :)

annafil, Sep 14, 2008
  17. annafil

AspireOneChris

This probably sound really stupid but i cant seem to update the "xorg-x11-xserver-Xorg" using the package manager

ive done everything else and got video with compiz but if i can i would like to update "xorg-x11-xserver-Xorg" to the latest version as it may improve performance and if theres less bugs thats a plus too.

i just cant see how to update any help much appreciated

AspireOneChris, Sep 15, 2008
  18. annafil

Flux101

I broke it again!

I used the custom desktop script you suggested, all was working fine, except the panel wasn't accepting themes or right click customisation, so I tried to remove it and reinstall.... but it just ended up being completely messed up instead.

So I reinstalled Linpus again, only now I can't install the graphics driver properly. It says I don't have an xorg-x11-xserver-Xorg or xorg-x11-server-Xorg to update - and this seems to be critical to stop it from messing up. I tried without updating this, and it just causes the sticking every few seconds problem. But how can I update something it can't find?! It's in the package manger and installed, but presumably it can't be the most up to date version on a fresh install?

Flux101, Sep 15, 2008
  19. annafil

annafil

Flux: make sure you have updated the repositories (software list) before trying to install any packages on a fresh linpus install

AspireOneChris: try xorg-x11-server-Xorg?

annafil, Sep 15, 2008
  20. annafil

AspireOneChris

Thanks for such a speedy response annafil, i have just tried

this is my first linux machine and it now seems that after installing the new driver i have glitching, cant view my screen saver and my external monitor dual display no longer works. any suggestions welcomed as considering fresh start. would the symptoms above be associated with the updated "xorg-x11-server-Xorg" i have other mods installed such as desktop switcher. i am rather annoyed with myself as i didnt really need all the fancy compiz settings and everything was working ok.

any help appreciated

AspireOneChris, Sep 15, 2008
Ask a Question