How to: Use a Nokia phone as USB modem under Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by gheek, Aug 28, 2008.

1. gheek

tonyk

Azfar.... thanks for the tips! I'm going to try these out - will post how I get on....

tonyk, Jul 13, 2009
  2. gheek

qlue

Just one question,
    How do I install gnome-ppp without an internet connection in the first place? :?:
    Has anyone got a ready built copy that I can just transfer in?

qlue, Aug 3, 2009
  3. gheek

qlue

I've solved my problems :p
    gnome-ppp is available as an rpm from http://rpm.phone.net/
    (just search there for gnome-ppp)
    use alt+F2 to run gnome-ppp
    this works on both my Nokia E65 and my LG U8120 (an older 3G enabled phone)
    It doesn't have to be a 'smart' phone. Just as long as it has a usb cable and internet capable.
    To get the rpm onto your Aspire One, download the rpm file to your memory card (assuming you have a phone with a memory card and JSR-75, you can use Operamini to do this.) Remove the memory card from the phone and insert it into a suitable adapter. place it into the right-hand SD-card slot. Your Aspire One should automatically bring up the memory card's directory. If it doesn't, go to 'My Files' and select it manually. navigate to the directory with the .rpm file. You can execute it straight from the memory card. it should automatically install without problems. :D
    username and password can usually be anything on most networks, just as long as you type something in.
    I'll add the init strings here later for MTN and Vodacom (South Africa). You may have to google for other networks and countries.
    Your Mobile operator may also be able to help you wiyh that although, in my experience, the 'Customer Service' call centres are usually manned by tech-illiterate morons so I don't recommend that route! :lol:
    I hope this helps someone else get up and running a little quicker than I did. :p

qlue, Aug 9, 2009
  4. gheek

Carsto

Thanks, this is great! Now I just have to find the Linux files for my Moto Razr V3r. Any ideas, please? Much appreciated as I'm mostly out of Wifi range.

Thanks, below this I see quite a few links and will try it, but any help really appreciated.

Carsto, Aug 15, 2009
Ask a Question