How to: Use a Nokia phone as USB modem under Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by gheek, Aug 28, 2008.

1. gheek

gheek

I spent quite some time researching this today and after successfully going through the whole procedure I thought to write down how I got my Nokia E65 to work as a USB modem under Acer's Linpus.

Credits go to the author of this great blog post: http://wosten.blogspot.com/2008/08/usb- ... e-one.html (initially written for the N95, but most likely the same procedure will work for most newer N- and E-series phones from Nokia) and the author of the "Howto: create missing kernel modules" thread on this forum.

Getting the required kernel module:

The easiest way to get the file would be to download it from the source mentioned in that blog post. But since downloading kernel modules from unknown sources always is a potential security risk, you may want to create the missing kernel module by yourself. It's quite some work if you lack Linux experience (=me ;) ), but if it makes you sleep better to have a self compiled kernel module it's well worth the trouble.

As I ran into some weird errors when trying to unpack the zipped kernel on the AA1, I built the module on an old desktop PC running Ubuntu (the "make" process took about half an hour) and then copied the file to the AA1:
    • Follow steps a-f of the instructions at viewtopic.php?f=39&t=608 (in step e, where it says "or use make menuconfig" this means that instead of the "make" command you enter "make menuconfig" which will provide you with a menu where you can modify the config file copied from the AA1: navigate to "Device drivers" > "USB support", highlight the line "USB Modem (CDC ACM) support", press the "M" key to mark it as module and then use "Exit" until you are asked whether you want to save the updated config file, which you confirm)[/*:m:3fkyk6rg]
    • then dig out the file /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9lw/drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.ko[/*:m:3fkyk6rg]
    • and copy it to your AA1 (in case you experience any problems during the kernel-building, the linked thread may be the best place to ask for assistance).[/*:m:3fkyk6rg]
    Putting the module in place and configuring the AA1

Once you have the required module file cdc-acm.ko on the AA1,
    Should... ;) In my case, I had to change few things from the settings mentioned in the blog post to get it work with my provider "DNA Finland":
    • I changed the phone number from *99*# to *99#, as that is what I am using under Windows as well - this may be of minor importance, though (haven't tested the other number)[/*:m:3fkyk6rg]
    • I had to add the string AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”internet” as "Init 3" under "Init strings" in the "Modem" tab of the gnome-ppp UI[/*:m:3fkyk6rg]
    • The DNS1/2 server adresses mentioned didn't work for my provider, neither did the automatic DNS (as mentioned in the blog). I had to dig them out from their support website (in case there are other DNA Finland users around, our DNS servers are 217.78.192.78 and 217.78.192.22)[/*:m:3fkyk6rg]

I hope this is of help for some people.
    Good luck!

gheek, Aug 28, 2008
  2. gheek

muaddib03

Thank you for sharing your experience here.
    I'm using a N95 as a modem and it perfectly works.

Of course I had to change the DNS value for my provider
    (for french SFR customers the value for wapsfr is : 208.067.222.222 ;) )

Now the next step is to use the BlueTooth connection of the Nokia :lol:

muaddib03, Aug 29, 2008
  3. gheek

PuntoPilot

Guys

Thanks for a fantastic post. I'm so close to cracking this but my connection just isn't going through. The phone is dialing no problem, but then I get an error message on the phone saying Unable to connect, check settings.

I use both O2 and Orange in the UK and neither are working. Where am I going wrong? I've tried changing all the DNS Servers and have typed in the script as you suggested (AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”mobile.o2.co.uk”) but then the phone doesn't dial at all. I get an error message on the log saying error reading script.

Can you please help. I extremely desperate in getting my mobile to connect when I'm out of range of WiFi which is quite often.

I believe I'm soooo close! :(

Many thanks
    PuntoPilot

PuntoPilot, Sep 2, 2008
  4. gheek

thepyawkt

Wow! This is the most promising post I've seen yet!
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do I make it work for my Nokia 6300?
    I found a list somewhere that the 6300 was supported by Linux, and I had been able to use the phone on an ordinary desktop running a full version of Linux, so I know it can be supported...?

Thanks!

thepyawkt, Sep 2, 2008
  5. gheek

geeek4lyf

has anyone here worked using iPhone?

geeek4lyf, Sep 4, 2008
  6. gheek

garfey

I was under the impression that the Iphone can't be used as a modem at all.

garfey, Sep 5, 2008
  7. gheek

westonpf

If you have a jailbroken iPhone you can use the netshare app to share it's internet connection.

westonpf, Sep 17, 2008
  8. gheek

jukk

Excellent guide. I managed to get gsm-data (dialup 9600 kbit/s) working with gnome-ppp and a Nokia phone, but for some strange reason I had to enter DNS manually, even though gnome-ppp found the DNS and set the route correctly. Pinging an IP worked, but not a DNS. Very strange, but it works now.

For the record, my settings for the Elisa operator in Finland: Phone: +3585090120000, user: gsm050, pwd: gsm050, DNS: 213.161.33.200, 193.185.210.10. This is for gsm-data 9600 kbit/s only and it is slooow, but hey, it is enough for SSH terminal traffic.

jukk, Sep 24, 2008
  9. gheek

cheops

cheops, Oct 11, 2008
  10. gheek

dwaine_dibbly

hi guys. ive problem too. i did all what was written above and im stuck now, because my provider dont have USERNAME and PASSWORD.
    gnome pp dont wont let my to connect without that. is some trick for it? i tryed to put "*" as pass and user and its started dialling but after few sec its been disconnected for invalid pass or username :roll: pls help me, im too close :twisted:

im using my m6120 with usb cable and my provider is THREE in UK.

dwaine_dibbly, Nov 4, 2008
  11. gheek

Robert_W

Hi - This is brilliant
    Having followed all the necessary links and followed the instructions (not always easy when you don't know Linux) I successfully connected to UK Vodafone through my USB cable attached to my Nokia 5310 phone.

I believe that the instructions are pretty good for all new style Nokia phones.

The main part of the problem I had was deciding the IP configuration in Gnome-PPP setup.
    What eventually worked for me for Vodafone UK was:-
    INIT 2 - AT&F
    INIT 4 - AT+cgdcont=1"ip","internet"

Dynamic IP address
    Automatic DNS

Un-check everything on the Options page - except Minimize & Dock in notification area

Username = web
    Password = web

Phone number *99#

I was amazed that it finally worked after a long day of trial and error.
    Good luck.

Robert_W, Nov 19, 2008
  12. gheek

helomoto

Another possible option with a Symbian phone with wireless is to set up the phone as a wifi access point using joikuspot or similar.

helomoto, Nov 20, 2008
  13. gheek

aivarannamaa

if you don't have username/password, then use '' (two quotes) instead

aivarannamaa, Nov 25, 2008
  14. gheek

Quid

really basic question, sorry
    but is there a default pwd for root when you start a terminal session?

Quid, Nov 27, 2008
  15. gheek

Foranamo

Thanks, great instructions. I got my E51 working fine with my One. It was infact easier to do than get it to work with my Windows-computer. Haven't succeeded in that yet :)

Foranamo, Nov 29, 2008
  16. gheek

Noodle1975

Hello,

great thread btw.

Took me hours, but just wanted all you Orange UK and Nokia N82 users out there that I finally got this working on my aa1.

I followed all the info above (downloaded the already compiled Kernel) and in gnome ppp used the settings:

username: user
    password: pass
    Prim. DNS Server: 158.43.192.1
    Sec. DNS Server: 158.43.128.1

I also needed to change the init settings in gnome to:

INIT 2 - AT&F
    INIT 3 - AT+cgdcont=1"ip","orangeinternet"

FINALLY AND THIS WAS IMPORTANT FOR ME, despite whatever I tried, Firefox 3 would not connect to the web, once the modem had been connected.

However, Konqueror connected straight away... ALT F2 -> konqueror
    Konqueror has a browser built in you see.

PS. ALT F2 -> kdesu konqueror will open konqueror in root so that you can see all files on the aa1 and move, copy, paste, create folders to your heart's desire (helped me in creating the class folder to copy the downloaded kernel to rather than using terminal).

If anyone can let me know how Firefox 3 will connect with these PPPE settings then please let me know !!!

Noodle1975, Feb 15, 2009
  17. gheek

Noodle1975

Update:

I read some threads and in Firefox 3 all you need to do is go to File, and un-check work off-line and then refresh,

Sweet as a nut. Surf's up.

Noodle1975, Feb 15, 2009
  18. gheek

tonyk

Anyone had any success using a Nokia 6124 S60 phone (or a 6120 as I believe these are very similar) on Vodafone?

I reckon I'm getting very close as Gnome-PPP successfully detects the modem, but when I try and connect it seems to be trying to connect indefinitely.

I think it's a init string problem as this is my log:-

--> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
    --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    --> Initializing modem.
    --> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    OK
    --> Sending: AT&F
    AT&F
    OK
    --> Sending: AT+cgdcont=1"ip","internet"
    AT+cgdcont=1"ip","internet"
    ERROR
    --> Bad init string.
    --> Initializing modem.
    ATZ
    OK
    AT&F
    OK
    ERROR
    --> Bad init string.
    --> Initializing modem.
    ATZ
    OK
    AT&F
    OK
    ERROR
    --> Bad init string.

For my init strings I'm using the following:-
    Init 2: AT&F
    Init 3: AT+cgdcont=1"ip","internet"
    Init 4: AT+cgdcont=1"ip","internet"

Any suggestions, no matter how off-the-wall, welcome!!

tonyk, Jun 21, 2009
  19. gheek

Azfar

Hi;

The following page may help those how are trying hard to get connected in the internet with their Mobilephone. & the service provider is Reluctant to provide service. like GrameenPhone Bangladesh.

You will get all Information on GPRS networks like APN, DNS etc. in the following page.

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html

Azfar

Azfar, Jul 11, 2009
  20. gheek

Azfar

tonyk wrote on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:19 pm
    For my init strings I'm using the following:-
    Init 2: AT&F
    Init 3: AT+cgdcont=1"ip","internet"
    Init 4: AT+cgdcont=1"ip","internet"

I dont know I am not a expart

Try to put an , after 1