How to upgrade BIOS the easy way?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by BazookaAce, Jan 11, 2009.

1. BazookaAce

BazookaAce

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my BIOS on my Acer Aspire One A150 with Ubuntu 8.10, but it ain't that easy. I've downloaded and installed Unetbootin, made a bootable USB-stick with the freeDOS-thing(?), rebooted, and then, i'm stuck.

The problem i'm having with the FreeDOS(?)-method is that i don't know what drive my USB-stick is, cause when i'm making it bootable with Unetbootin, it says that my USB is drive "sdb1". Ok, but i don't think it will work with "CD:/sdb1 in DOS. Sorry, i've tried. I've also tried drive A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and so on. It won't boot.

So, my question is; is there an easier way to upgrade my BIOS in Ubuntu? In Windows, we can use Winflash, that makes BIOS-flashing very easy, but the thing is, i don't have Windows.

BazookaAce, Jan 11, 2009
  2. BazookaAce

csmo

Hmm, it's been a while since I upgraded my own BIOS, but if memory serves you only need to type c: hit enter, and then (if your USB contains bios version 3309 for example) type 3309.bat on the next line. I think that's it. Are you sure c: or b: doesn't work?

csmo, Jan 11, 2009
  3. BazookaAce

BazookaAce

Yepp. I've tried from A to Z. Nothing works :(

But doesn't it exist a flash-utility for Ubuntu? Why haven't people thought of that? :p

BazookaAce, Jan 11, 2009
  4. BazookaAce

ronime

You could the BIOS recovery method documented here:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html

This does not rely on making a bootable USB stick, although I must admit that making a bootable FreeDOS USB stick has not been a problem for me.

Alternatively make a Live USB version of the Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and select one of the FreeDOS images after copying your Acer BIOS update files to the same USB stick and booting from it.

XP users may be interested to learn that the v3308 BIOS update available from the Acer Europe Support site contains WinFlash binaries so that the BIOS can be updated from a running Windows XP environment.

ronime, Jan 11, 2009
  5. BazookaAce

BazookaAce

Thanks, i'll check it out :)

BazookaAce, Jan 11, 2009
  6. BazookaAce

danielsbrewer

I had to try a number of different USB drives before I could get it working.

danielsbrewer, Jan 15, 2009
  7. BazookaAce

jerryt

Verify that the 3309.bat file is there. First time I did this the file was missing, so it could not perform the command.

jerryt, Jan 15, 2009
  8. BazookaAce

BazookaAce

Yeah, the 3309-file is there, but i think it's the USB-stick something wrong with.

BazookaAce, Jan 15, 2009
  9. BazookaAce

geekyhawkes

This might be a daft question but what benefits does 3309 bios bring to the one? Ive had my machine for about 9 months now and havent reflashed the bios as the machine seems fine.

geekyhawkes, Jan 19, 2009
  10. BazookaAce

axcairns

Seriously dude just bugger off. You are not helping anyone

axcairns, Feb 11, 2009
  11. BazookaAce

BazookaAce

How's it related to Ubuntu? Cause i have Ubuntu on my computer? Read the thread, and then comment. And yes, i've searched the forum, and yes i've googled.

And btw, i'm still stuck. LOL.

BazookaAce, Feb 11, 2009
  12. BazookaAce

BazookaAce

Ok, i'll try it again :) But i think it's something wrong with my usb-stick. But i'll give it a try again.

BazookaAce, Feb 12, 2009
Ask a Question