How to update old XP install CD

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Rhodan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Rhodan

Rhodan

I decided to replace the default windows home with a XP Pro that I haven't used in years (had on an old comp but new one came with XP installed so its unused). However, I couldn't get my 2002 disk to actually run. It would load drivers for a while then abort with a message saying I should check for viruses. I figured it was just too old and couldn't handle the hardware on the Aspire.

After some googling I found a little gem that explains how to create a new "slipstreamed" CD from the original XP disk that includes SP3. I followed the instructions (using trial versions of the software required so no $$$) and XP Pro appears to be installing just fine. At least, I've gotten as far as partitioning and its about 50% done formatting the 152MB HD. I have no reason to think it will fail after this.

The site with instructions is at http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstream_01.htm. It specifies SP1a but I just substituted SP3. I skipped all the steps between applying the SP and burning the CD (its for adding extra stuff).

One bit of advice, avoid the nero trial if you can. Nero 9 took over 45 minutes to install - hell, XP takes less time than that!

Good luck!

Rhodan, Nov 17, 2008
  2. Rhodan

Rhodan

Finished installing and it went perfect. The old product key worked (was a bit worried that adding the SP would wreck that). Activation went fine and now I'm running windows update (had to install the realtek lan driver myself before the built in nic would work of course).

P.S. Added bonus of only having to do update post SP3 - weee!

Rhodan, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question