How to slipstream (xp)SP3 or (vista)SP1

Discussion in 'Windows' started by KiNG, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiNG

KiNG

Next time you wipe your PC's hard drive clean and reinstall Windows with that old installation disc, you don't want to connect your fresh, unpatched and vulnerable system to the internet only to download 176 new updates from Microsoft. If your XP installation CD is older than 2004, once your system is online, you'll have to wait for hefty service packs to download, chained to your mouse while pushing the Next button, watching progress bars, and rebooting multiple times. Wouldn't it be better to start your installation, head out to run errands or grab coffee, and come back to an up-to-date system before your system gets online? It's possible, using some free software and a blank disc. After the jump, I'll show you how to create an automated, customized XP installation CD or DVD, that includes Microsoft's official-but-not-released Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream ... llation-cd

KiNG, Jul 24, 2008
  2. KiNG

rory

And, just to add, for Vista, its a very similar process but using vLite rather than nLite. I used it to cut down my home premium install to 950MB on the disk and about 2.5GB installed
    Rory

rory, Jul 25, 2008
  3. KiNG

Davidcowling

ive heard that biting your teeth and installing the whole shebang results in a faster os environment???

is this true?

Davidcowling, Jul 25, 2008
Ask a Question