How to sign in as root in graphical mode?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by icouldiwill, Aug 10, 2008.

1. icouldiwill

icouldiwill

I'm just learning linux and I do not want learn all the terminal commands to delete a few files.

Is there a way to sign in as root in the graphical mode?

For example, package manager downloaded many packages and I want to delete them. When I do it using thunar it says I don't have permission. I also want to change permissions to some folders. Do I really have to learn terminal commands to be able to do this? Please help...

icouldiwill, Aug 10, 2008
  2. icouldiwill

retsaw

If you want to clear out the cache of RPMs yum downloads before installing, "sudo yum clean packages" will do that. If you want to remove programs that were installed, you really should do that through the package manager, doing this by hand could break package management on your computer and maybe other things so is really inadvisable.

Now, to answer your question, it is possible, but I haven't investigated how to do it since it really isn't necessary, most likely all you really want is to run the file manager as root, you can do that with the command "sudo thunar".

retsaw, Aug 10, 2008
  3. icouldiwill

icouldiwill

sudo thunar, this was the magic phrase I've been looking for. :D Many many thanks. So I also assume I can run other programs as root using this sudo prefix, which is very handy.

And thank you for making it so clear about the deleting issue. I know I shouldn't offend package manager and install/uninstall using it only. But these packages are taking 250 Mb space at the moment and I'll use that yum clear packages command you recommended. Cheers.

4. icouldiwill

retsaw

That's right.

If you want to stop yum keeping the packages, then you can edit the /etc/yum.conf file and change "keepcache=1" to "keepcache=0"

retsaw, Aug 10, 2008
  5. icouldiwill

icouldiwill

Excelllent. That's what I needed. I'll do that.
    Thank you very much.

6. icouldiwill

lockwood

you could also type in the terminal:

Code:
    su
    It 'll ask for your root password

and then type:
    Code:
    thunar
    It's just another way to do it...