How to: set apps/commands to run on startup

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rebuilder, Aug 20, 2008.

1. rebuilder

rebuilder

I was looking through some commands on my aspire one, and I noticed in a list of the xfce4-related ones this: xfce4-autostart-editor.
    It seems to be exactly what the filename suggests - a GUI tool for editing what commands are run on startup. If you want to stop some stuff from running it's probably not your best bet, since there are a number of places that control startup apps, but if you just want to have a program run on system start, it provides a pretty easy way to do it. I also seem to recall some people looking for a way to edit startup apps via a gui tool. Here's how:

Press alt-F2 to get the run prompt and use it to run xfce4-autostart-editor . You'll get a short list of commands already being run on startup, and buttons to add and remove entries. Click the add button to, well, add a new item, give it a descriptive name and under "command" enter the command you wish to run. In my case, I made an entry for Katapult to have it run on startup.

rebuilder, Aug 20, 2008
  2. rebuilder

Guest Guest

sounds good. So could a have a terminal command run to enable the compiz manager on startup so i don't have to do it manually?

Guest, Aug 20, 2008
  3. rebuilder

fateastray

For windows XP: paste a shortcut to your program into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. :p :D

fateastray, Aug 21, 2008
Ask a Question