How to run Yahoo Messenger

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shutterly, May 6, 2009.

1. shutterly

shutterly

How to run Yahoo messenger ? I keep getting the message "Login failed, no reply" Please help!

shutterly, May 6, 2009
  2. shutterly

catty

I am having the same problem. When I try to fix it I get unknown error 1033 visit the Yahoo website, but there's no help there. This started two days ago - have there been changes to Yahoo messenger?

catty, Jun 20, 2009
  3. shutterly

sgtslwilson

Yahoo servers have been acting up lately for me. By the way, when you guys ask quesitons like that you need to tell us what OS you are using. The answers are going to be completely different for Linux than Windows. Anyway, I have been struggling with yahoo and Linux for a while now and I think I have things figured out.

Let me know what OS and I can help you.

Lance

sgtslwilson, Jun 21, 2009
  4. shutterly

MightyKC

I am having the exact trouble on the Linpus, 8gb SSD version

MightyKC, Jun 22, 2009
  5. shutterly

MightyKC

Using the Messenger program that comes preinstalled.

MightyKC, Jun 22, 2009
  6. shutterly

Gembob09

I am having the same problems with yahoo messenger, my operating system is linpus linux lite v1.0.9.E, can anyone help? thanks! :) Also I cannot seem to have video calls with anyone on yahoo and they cannot see my web cam??????

Gembob09, Jun 23, 2009
  7. shutterly

CragFace

Hi, I found recently that the messenger just refused to work and my Yahoo and msn became inoperable.
    Then I found this link and all is well. http://uk.webmessenger.yahoo.com/ You no longer need to use your link from the front page, just start from this browser address.

CragFace, Jun 24, 2009
  8. shutterly

sgtslwilson

Yes, you can IM one to one on the website but some of us like to go into chat rooms and even talk on voice. Ok, here is the deal. Yahoo is patching over a bunch of servers to something else. What it is, I have no idea. Im not really clear on this but I know in windows in Yahaven I have to log into AC4 servers just to get in at all. Even then sometimes voice doesn't work. I HAVE gotten Gyachi to work in Linux. Ubuntu users are having the same problems logging into Yahoo with Pidgin.

The point is, is that it's not our software, Yahoo is changing their chat protocol. I suspect they are trying to make 3rd party chat clients unusable so we have to use their proprietary messenger service (with the ads and shit).

Since Acer IM was one of the first things I got rid of on Linux, Im not sure about setting up which servers it logs into. I doubt there is a setting for it. However, Gyachi runs nicely in Linux (go to rpmbone) and Yahaven does to under wine.

I hope this has helped someone.

Lance

sgtslwilson, Jul 7, 2009
Ask a Question