How to resize title bar height etc. in xfce?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bolero, Feb 19, 2009.

1. bolero

bolero

I changed the font size from 12 to 10pt, but I couldn't find a way to resize elements of the GUI like the titlebar height. Is there a way? I also find that after making the font size smaller applications like Terminal and File Manager open in smaller window size and retain this size even after saving in bigger size. Is there a way to tell these applications to open with a custom size that *I* like?

bolero, Feb 19, 2009
  2. bolero

TheTilde

hi

To configure the panel, the command line is:

===================
    xfce4-panel -c
    ===================

(if you have the linpus desktop. If you have changed the desktop to classic xfce it mays be "xfce4-panel-xfce -c")

For the terminal, I use xterm. Maybe your are using xfterm4, I don't know how to set the size. xterm let you tell the desired geometry on the command line:

===================
    xterm -geometry 100x10
    ===================

(100 colonnes & 10 lines)

For the file manager (thunar?) here it retains its size... strange.

TheTilde

TheTilde, Feb 20, 2009
  3. bolero

RockDoctor

You might want to look at switching themes. There are XFCE themes with smaller-than-standard title bars.

RockDoctor, Feb 20, 2009
  4. bolero

bolero

Yes, looks like there is no other option, thanks. Ahm, do you know by chance which might have small "chrome"?

bolero, Feb 21, 2009
  5. bolero

TheTilde

I wrote
    "
    To configure the panel, the command line is:
    "
    I don't know in what alternate universe I was on, but I really was off-topic. Sorry.
    You can change the height of the title of the wm in xfce by modifying the font of the titlebar:
    command:

xfce-setting-show xfwm4

TheTilde

TheTilde, Feb 27, 2009
  6. bolero

bolero

The font size of the titlebar is a function of the font size in general. It shrinks when you reduce the overall font size. However, the default theme (RedmondXP or so) takes an example in XP/Vista and throws away more screen real estate than necessary. e.g. if you reduce font size it doesn't reduce the size of the titlebar very much, there's lots of unused space above and below the title. I simply wanted to change that size (you can do that in Windows). I now went for another theme (Smoothwall or so) that looks very similar but makes better use of the titlebar.

bolero, Mar 5, 2009
  7. bolero

TheTilde

yes.
    You can hand-edit the theme too, it's not so hard. I usually copy the theme and edit the themerc file. Quite easy to parse. In your home directory the .themes folder must exits first.

in a terminal:

mkdir .themes # not needed if you have created it before
    cp -f /usr/share/themes/THE-BAD-THEME .themes/MY-THEME
    mousepad .themes/MY-THEME/xfwm4/themerc

(change THE-BAD-THEME with the name of the original theme)

TheTilde

TheTilde, Mar 9, 2009
Ask a Question