how to remove windows 7 and istall windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows' started by rosefly, Feb 8, 2013.

1. rosefly

rosefly

i got a compaq presario cq56 notebook with windows 7 and i want to intall windows xp ,when i put windows xp cd it reads it but then the screen turns blue with a message and dont let me install it need help thanks

rosefly, Feb 8, 2013
  2. rosefly

gascash1

You installed Windows 7 on a computer that did not have an operating system installed

In this scenario, you used the installation media to install Windows 7 to an empty hard disk drive.

In this scenario, there is no previous operating system to which you can revert. If you want to back up your computer and transfer the data from this Windows 7 installation to your next operating system, follow these steps:
    Back up your data to a network location or removable media. For more information about how to back up your data, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    971759 How to back up your data on a Windows-based computer
    Insert the Windows XP or Windows Vista installation media, and then install the Windows operating system.

For more information about how to perform a clean install of Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    316941 How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    For more information about how to perform a clean install of Windows Vista, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    918884 How to install Windows Vista
    Complete the installation.
    Restore, transfer, or copy your data to the new operating system after the installation has completed

gascash1, Feb 26, 2013
  3. rosefly

mikelouis

Well I hope it is not the blue screen of death. That can be fatal. Just make sure your installation is free from scratches and do a clean installation.

mikelouis, Mar 3, 2014
  4. rosefly

Clanky

A blue screen with a message sounds like the bluescreen of death. You shouldn't play with installations of operating systems when you don't know what you're doing. Backup your personal data first, then format your system and install a legit version of Windows XP.

Clanky, Mar 3, 2014
  5. rosefly

Sefie

Why would you want to install Windows XP? This OS will no longer be supported by Microsoft anymore :( That's not the case for people in China (I was told by another user of this forum). By the way, that blue screen with the message sounds a lot like the blue screen of death! I hope you have a legit windows XP CD!

Sefie, Mar 5, 2014
  6. rosefly

OhioTom76

Assuming you already backed up your important files, when doing an install of Windows XP, it should give you the option to format the partition clean and do a clean install of XP instead of trying to repair or upgrade a previous installation of Windows. Since you have Windows 7 on there currently, I would imagine it would just say that the partition has data on it and give you the option to format it (erase it) then install XP. If it is not, it's possible your installation disc is corrupt. You could try downloading another copy of Windows XP from Digital River and burning that to disc and using it instead. Just make sure its the same version of XP you had previously, and have a serial number for.

Honestly though, I wouldn't recommend reverting back to Windows XP considering it's about to lose all support next month.

OhioTom76, Mar 9, 2014
Ask a Question