How to remove item in menu?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by cesarlijo, Aug 3, 2009.

1. cesarlijo

cesarlijo

Hello All. I installed wine in my AA1 Linpus and installed an app using wine. It didn't work, it freezes, then I tried to uninstall it from uninstall wine programs, it uninstalled, but the item in menu remains. How to remove the item in the Linpus advanced menu? I deleted the file but it still there on the menu.

cesarlijo, Aug 3, 2009
  2. cesarlijo

fweigel

The directory that you will (likely) find it in is:

/home/user/config/menus/applications-merged

Move the file (say, wine-Programs-Microsoft Office PowerPointView 2003.menu, for example), out of this directory. This should be reflected (almost immediately) in the menu; you won't have to reboot.

There will still be some remnents (icons) left behind. Sorry, this happens when trying to map a Windows installer into a Linux desktop (and is roughly comparable to "registry bloat" etc. on Windows itself).

fweigel, Aug 4, 2009
  3. cesarlijo

cesarlijo

Hello, I have in /home/user/.config these folders: autostart, gtk2.0, mousepad, thunar, xfce4, xfce4-session, Trolltech.conf, and no folder called menu, what can I do?

cesarlijo, Aug 5, 2009
  4. cesarlijo

fweigel

What is the (exact) name in the menu?

fweigel, Aug 5, 2009
  5. cesarlijo

cesarlijo

Its "Apostila OFICIAL DE JUSTICA sp 2009" , it's on Other menu, in the Linpu's advanced menu.

cesarlijo, Aug 6, 2009
  6. cesarlijo

fweigel

To find the menu file, open a terminal, and type

find . -name *.menu

You will get some permission errors, don't worry about those. That should isolate the menu file for you, which you can then rename (mv file.menu file_menu.old would do as a command, but you will have to "cd" to the directory first).

Sorry about the delay in the reply.

fweigel

fweigel, Aug 18, 2009
  7. cesarlijo

basily

I'm working on a similar problem, except I have a few applications that I installed under wine then uninstalled but they still appear under the "Other" menu when I right click on the desktop.

I did what you said fweigel, but all I found was a file named "xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu". It's an empty file and there are no other files in /home/user/.config/menus/applications-merged.

I did find some more .menu files in:
    /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/
    /etc/xdg/menus/
    /root/.config/menus

But none seemed to be relevant to my orphaned wine applications. Is there somewhere else to look?

basily, Aug 26, 2009
Ask a Question