How to remove and install app. on Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MasterMind, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MasterMind

MasterMind

Hi all,

I just purchased an AspireOne yesterday and I was misled by the sales person. He said a lot of people bought it and install the XP by themselves, and it has 2 slots, and the battery last for 5-6 hours, etc.

After I checked the posts here, according to what I've seen, XP runs very slow on this one, because of the SSD dirver. So I think I need to stick it with Linux for a while.

My problem is that I've never use Linux before. I saw there's FireFox 2.14 install on the machine. I've download 3.0 from mozilla.com. But I don't know how to remvoe the older version and install the 3.0.

Would someone care to share?

Thanks.

MasterMind, Jul 14, 2008
  2. MasterMind

darfel

you have to do the "Advance mode hack" and then you have access to the right click menu. There you can see an option to add/remove software.

Since you've downloaded the package, you should first remove your existing firefox and only after that install the new one.

darfel, Jul 14, 2008
  3. MasterMind

Guest Guest

Anyone done this yet?

Guest, Jul 16, 2008
  4. MasterMind

Guest Guest

Be careful, I just removed firefox v2 by the application manager and it lost the desktop and everything, so I am already having to rebuild.

Guest, Jul 16, 2008
  5. MasterMind

speekergeek

I am new to linux/linpus and had no problem getting the advanced mode. but i dont understand all this talk about "fedora" and installers. I am also trying to install firefox 3.0 but can't find adequate support info. is there an absolute newbies guid to this out there?

mike

speekergeek, Jul 17, 2008
  6. MasterMind

Kev50027

I too am wondering how to replace Firefox 2 with Firefox 3. On Windows, you just install, FF3, and it puts it over FF2. How exactly am I to go about doing this?

Kev50027, Jul 18, 2008
Ask a Question