How to reattach rubber feet?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by violajack, Aug 26, 2008.

1. violajack

violajack

After an epic battle with the Last Screw, I now 1.5G of RAM. I managed to get the whole thing put back together and it works quite nicely now, but I can't get silly rubber feet to stick back in. I have tried both contact cement and rubber cement and neither seem to stick to the feet. The feet just fall back out clean with no residue on them; it all stays in the hole with the screw. I would like to get them to stay in a non-permanent way so I can still take the thing apart again if I want.

It's entirely possible that I didn't give it enough drying time in my eagerness to keep using the one, but if anyone has other ideas about how to get the feet to stick on again, I would be very grateful.

violajack, Aug 26, 2008
  2. violajack

Jefri

Why dont u try 3m double tape?Dont forget to clean the rubber surface first.. ;)

Jefri, Aug 26, 2008
  3. violajack

fairylantern

I used some putty like stuff that is called haftmasse in swedish. It is used to put up posters on walls. I also tried every kind of glue without luck. I am sorry I cant remember what it is called in english, any teachers out there to help?

fairylantern, Aug 26, 2008
  4. violajack

drewb

I think you are referring to "Blue Tac"?

drewb, Aug 26, 2008
  5. violajack

violajack

Thanks for all the ideas. We managed to dig up an old tube of a silicone based gasket sealer/glue stuff. It seems to be sticking so far. If it doesn't work, I think I will go the double tape route as we had considered that possibility as well. I just hope the feet come off again if I decide to try to swap the SSD out.

violajack, Aug 27, 2008
  6. violajack

pcbroch

I always use carpet double sided tape from home depot. It appears to be really close to the original "stuff" that holds the rubber feet together.

It's available in big rolls similar to masking tape, but I just cut it to size. With the sizes required, I don't think I'll go through that roll anytime soon!

pcbroch, Aug 27, 2008
  7. violajack

lotus49

You should use double sided tape - that's what Acer used.

You should not use glue, some types which may well dissolve the case and if they don't they may make it very hard to remove the feet if you need to do so again.

lotus49, Aug 27, 2008
  8. violajack

zakfontaine

Yea, the 3m Poster Tape works great. I picked up a roll from wal mart for like $3.88. I'm pretty sure its the same type of stuff they used originally.

zakfontaine, Sep 2, 2008
  9. violajack

georgedaman

loctite 404

georgedaman, Jan 2, 2009
  10. violajack

GvidoR

After opening mine, I glued only one of the rubber feet because the other one was holding fine, but now it's gone! :(
    Does anyone know where could I get one ?

GvidoR, Jan 2, 2009
  11. violajack

rgarjr

Since I open my A1 quite often, I just cut out a portion of the feet where I can unscrew the screw easily, then I just put krazy glue on it.

rgarjr, Jan 3, 2009
  12. violajack

TTgowings

On my second unit, one of the feet dropped off within the first week, I believe I got it back on via a hot glue glue gun, though on other keyboards/gadgets I have I've used super glue, but as someone pointed out super glue can melt certain types of plastics, so you have to be very careful using it.

TTgowings, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question