How to put Picasa icon onto desktop under "Fun"

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by steppiemum, Jul 29, 2008.

1. steppiemum

steppiemum

I've seen posts about VLC about adding icons, but I need to know how to put Picasa on my desktop. I'm not very computer savy, so I need "easy" directions. I can open Picasa by right clicking and typing in Picasa. However, I don't know how to locate the exact location on my One. I know it's in my "user" file somewhere, but I don't know how to access it. "Home" only takes me to the main screen with the 4 boxes. Please help!
    Thanks, Chris

steppiemum, Jul 29, 2008
  2. steppiemum

Raido

Chris, it's probably in the /usr/share/applications "folder". As for putting an icon on the desktop, in the Beginner section and the threads about VLC there are a few pretty good posts on how to go about that. Also, you might want to look at this Youtube video tutorial,

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 29, 2008
  3. steppiemum

Cyclist

I just installed picasa today but haven't added the icon yet. But you should know that if you followed Picasa's linix/Fedora instructions and used 'yum' to install, the program will be installed in /opt/picasa with the executable in /opt/picasa/bin/picasa.

When I get around to installing the desktop icon for it I'll post again.

Cyclist, Aug 3, 2008
  4. steppiemum

achiss

This is the line you have to add the file "group-app.xml" in the group:

Code:
    <app sequence="1">/opt/picasa/desktop/google-picasa.desktop</app>
    usuarioaspireone.blogspot.com

achiss, Aug 5, 2008
  5. steppiemum

steppiemum

Dear Achiss,

Thanks for your help. However, it didn't work.

You said, "This is the line you have to add the file "group-app.xml" in the group:

Code: Select all
    <app sequence="1">/opt/picasa/desktop/google-picasa.desktop</app>"

I went to the appropriate page on my "one" and chose number 6 because all the others were taken, and then typed it in, and clicked save and then rebooted. There is no icon yet.

Now, I'm confused about a couple of things.

Should I be adding "/usr/share/applications/" before the "<app sequence="1">/opt/picasa/desktop/google-picasa.desktop</app>"

It seems that all the other icons listed have that. OK, I tried it and it didn't work.

I think my problem is that my Picasa program doesn't show up as an application. I see the following when I searched the desktop search function: "google-picasa.desktop". When I open that it indicates that it is a "desktop entry". And then it says:

Exec=/opt/picasa/bin/picasa
    Terminal=false
    Icon=/opt/picasa/desktop/picasa.xpm
    Type=Application

Does this help?
    Thanks so much for helping me!
    Chris

steppiemum, Aug 5, 2008
  6. steppiemum

speekergeek

I too have been unable to put picasa OR VLC onto my desktop, but had no problem doing it with SKYPE. seems there must be some difference..... I tried the video and read the forum posts but still cannot get more items on the desktop.

I am thinking about trying out Linpus Linux Light, the official release, not the AA1 version.....

sorry I couldn't be of more help, but you are not alone with this issue. and being new to linux doesn't help us out much either!

Mike

speekergeek, Aug 6, 2008
  7. steppiemum

steppiemum

Mike,

I searched for a linux group in my area, and found out that there is a meeting tomorrow night of linux users. I'm going. If I can get someone to help me solve the problem, I'll let you know.

Chris

steppiemum, Aug 6, 2008
  8. steppiemum

steppiemum

I had absolutely no luck today with the "linux professionals." Apparently, this Linpus Linux Lite is an "odd duck". It honestly shouldn't be this hard.

Again, my basic problem is that Picasa doesn't show up as an application, as all the other applications do. I may have to resign myself to opening it the hard way (two steps is all--right click on the desktop, click run program, and type in Picasa. Voila'--there it is. I'm just stubborn and want my icon!

Chris

steppiemum, Aug 8, 2008
  9. steppiemum

Raido

Chris, the 'usual' way is to check out what the exact file name is via the Terminal in /usr/share/applications, and check what the "picasa".desktop file is as well (if there is one) and type in the exact filename found in Terminal in the group.xml file.

And yes, you're right, it shouldn't have to be this hard. It's not Linux or Linpus as such, Acer just chose utter simplicity (all programs ready to run on a simplified desktop but not editable) over configurability. In later versions of the Linpus OS this may be addressed or simple desktop editing programs may appear, but for the moment, this is how it is.

Raido, Aug 8, 2008
Ask a Question