How to protect eyes while using laptop

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by clair02, Sep 23, 2016.

1. clair02

clair02

I spend over 10 hours a day on my laptop and lately I've noticed that my eyes are giving me a bit of trouble. I think I strain them too much from staring at the laptop screen all day. Is there something that I can use to help make that better? I used to see some sort of screen on people's computers back in the day, is there something like that for laptops?

clair02, Sep 23, 2016
  2. clair02

SirJoe

I would suggest going to an optometrist, they could prescribe glasses with a special anti reflective coat that would protect your eyes. I also suggest that you change the setting of the brightness of your monitor, it could be too bright and get up every once in a while and rest your eyes. Go to a window and try to focus on a distant object then something closer buy repeatedly.

SirJoe, Sep 23, 2016
    something back and IcyBC like this.
  3. clair02

IcyBC

I so agree with @SirJoe suggestions! When my eyes are tired of looking at the screen for more than 3 hours, I have to take a rest or else they will shut down by themselves :)

I also lower the brightness of my computer! There is also exercise lessons for your eyes, which you can find on YouTube or other websites!

IcyBC, Sep 23, 2016
    SirJoe likes this.
  4. clair02

something back

Spot on advice, just to add there are anti glare screen covers available.

something back, Sep 23, 2016
  5. clair02

rz3300

I know that it is something really small, but taking those little breaks is always important. Even looking at the phone screen or a television screen, the eyes need to get away from starting at those and onto something else, even for just a little bit. I am sure some people suggest a few hours away, so I am not sure the time needed.

rz3300, Sep 23, 2016
  6. clair02

Fuzyon

I wear glasses because my eyes are damaged but my doctor told me that people rarely damage their eyes standing in front of the PC. I know that some people, myself included, have damaged their eyes by doing stuff on PC for a long time but there are so many people that still have good vision and haven't damaged their eyes while doing the exact same thing I did. I have LED resistant glasses and my dioptries still went up this year by 0.25.

Fuzyon, Sep 23, 2016
  7. clair02

Corzhens

In the office, there was a memo before that advised us to stand away from the computer at least every hour. And later that memo was re-issued to be away from the computer every 30 minutes. It is clear that what our eyes need is a respite from looking at the computer screen. There is a filter or anti-radiation glass cover for the monitor but I don't think that is much effective since nothing can beat resting the eyes.

Corzhens, Sep 24, 2016
  8. clair02

AntonioCalcano

The best way to protect your eyes is with anti glare screen, or anti glare glasses, also by setting your screen brightness to medium, and by keeping a safe distance, taking short breaks also helps a lot, it's a combination of all these factors that will help you most.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 24, 2016
  9. clair02

BlueText

You need to get in the habit of looking away from your screen every fifteen or thirty minutes. Make sure you look out a window at something far away and consciously blink. As an illustrator, I was warned as a student that our body will take shortcuts and not completely blink which causes dryness and irritation. So that could be a problem. You can also dim the screen so that it's not blaring slightly into your eyes. But as soon as you can, you should go see an optometrist.

BlueText, Sep 24, 2016
  10. clair02

Aree Wongwanlee

I have a very simple way to relieving my eyes. I make sure that I don't have any food or drinks near my laptop. So every now and then, I have to get up and go to the kitchen to get a drink or a snack. That gives my eyes a change from staring at the screen.

There's something else which I have tried before. I used to have a bigger space to do my work. Next to my computer table, I had an aquarium. Every now and then, I would look at the fish in my aquarium. This gives a chance for my eyes muscles to get some exercise.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 24, 2016
  11. clair02

clair02

Thanks for the tip about the eye exercises. I looked into that and you are right, there are little techniques that you can use to keep your eyes from getting strained while working on a computer for long periods of time. That's wonderful. I'm so grateful for this information, it's already making a difference to my eyes.

clair02, Sep 24, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  12. clair02

Elektron

All you can do to avodi that from happening is trying to reduce the time you spend on the PC and increase the distance between your eyes andthe screen, also, yo ucould try lowering the brightness as well. Good luck.

Elektron, Sep 24, 2016
  13. clair02

SirJoe

I haven't seen those exercises yet, but will see if I can find them. Sitting in front of a computer hours on end is probably the most strenuous thing you can do to your eyes so it's good practice to protect them as much as we can.

SirJoe, Sep 24, 2016
  14. clair02

Aree Wongwanlee

If you want to lower the brightness of your screen automatically, you can try f.lux. It's a very small utility program. You can get it here: https://justgetflux.com/. Don't try searching for f.lux because the search engine will look for a website called f dot lux which doesn't exist.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 25, 2016
  15. clair02

Karen Gordon

I need to take a break from computing or my eyes will get very very tired. I just don't think we were meant to stare at the screen for hours on end.

Karen Gordon, Sep 25, 2016
  16. clair02

Vash

Try to keep distance from the laptop screen is one way to put less stress on your eyes. The farther away you are from the screen, the less strained your eyes will be.

You should also take breaks. It is recommended not to look at the screen for more than 1~1.5 hours straight. Take a 10~15 minutes break even 1~2 hours, to take a walk and look at afar, it should relax your eyes. Close your eyes to take a short nap will also help, but to "even it out", look afar is the best way to cancel out the negative affects of look at a screen or something close to your eyes (like a book etc.).

Vash, Sep 25, 2016
  17. clair02

djtech

1. Pomodoro Technique: Use a pomodoro timer. You can sign up for Kanbanflow as well. Pomodoro is an effective technique that lets you work for 25 minutes and then gives you a break for 5 minutes. And every 2 hours or so, it gives you a 15 minute break.

2. Anti-glare filters: They're low cost and effective. They'll keep your eyes safe.

Might I add, that the key is to take rest when you take a break. Don't go on your phone or something.

djtech, Sep 25, 2016
  18. clair02

clair02

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I have to say, I have tried lowering the settings on my laptop, and the problem persists. I think it's more of a matter of staring at the screen rather than the brightness of the screen. As for the Pomodoro technique, it's great but sometimes I have assignments that I just can't take a break from. I think I'll try the anti-glare filters an the eye exercises. Thanks again.

clair02, Sep 25, 2016
  19. clair02

Elektron

I don'treally know about them either, but they must work, I'm sure about that. I'll do some research and try them as well.

Elektron, Sep 25, 2016
    SirJoe likes this.
Ask a Question