How to permanently delete folders?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Bob D, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Bob D

Bob D

I have no use for the "Music", "Video", "Documents" or "Pictures" folders. I've deleted them in Thunar as root but they always come back. How can I get rid of them forever?

I realize I'm just being a picky tweaker, but thought I'd ask anyway!

BD

Bob D, Sep 24, 2008
  2. Bob D

macles

There is a script, /etc/aufs.act, that automatically recreates them on startup as part of the Storage Expansion. I wouldn't edit it unless you know what you're doing.

macles, Sep 24, 2008
  3. Bob D

kevin

Quite. I made the mistake of deleting the mkdir entries in /etc/aufs.act and it took me three hours plus a reformat of my memory card to recover :)

It's probably safe to do this if you aren't using storage expansion, and have no plans to. But if you are using it, then you need to get _some_ system of naming the directories in your `virtual' home directory, and apply it to both the real home directory, the /etc/aufs.act file, and the expansion card. Of course, if you're starting with a blank card you don't need to bother about the last bit, as it will get set up automatically.

The other wrinkle is that Thunar has default shortcuts to `Videos', `Pictures', etc., which will disappear from the the left pane after you rename the folders. But this can easily be fixed by specifying your own shortcuts, which don't need to be to things in your home directory.

To be honest, I'm somewhat uncertain about the long-term benefit of this whole `storage expansion' thing. I might just reorganize that slot as a straightforward card reader and mount it somewhere statically. But I'm sticky with the Acer method for now, mostly out of curiosity.

kevin, Sep 25, 2008
  4. Bob D

Bob D

Thanks for the comments. I can learn to live with those folders :)
    Right now neither card is working anyway, just about had enough of this machine!

Bob D, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question