How to make my AAO D150 go faster

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by LadyK, Apr 22, 2010.

1. LadyK

LadyK

Does anyone have any idea how can easily do this?

LadyK, Apr 22, 2010
  2. LadyK

melhiore

Yeah. Buy another laptop with faster CPU, more RAM, faster HDD and better graphic adapter...

melhiore, Apr 22, 2010
  3. LadyK

Swarvey Moderator

Although very blunt, this is indeed the only way to really make it faster than stock. If you've been using it a while and are actually complaining about how slow it's become, there are HEAPS of system utilities out there that can erase caches etc and essentially allow you to regain SOME speed, otherwise, reformat and reinstall from scratch / recovery.

Swarvey, Apr 23, 2010
  4. LadyK

LadyK

Can you name the system utilities that you are referring to?

LadyK, Apr 24, 2010
  5. LadyK

Swarvey Moderator

Well I personally use the Auslogics BoostSpeed package. It's a paid for set of applications, but it will run in trial mode for about 15 days, which should be more than enough for you to test out what it does. There are heaps of free alternatives, but meh, I paid for it and I'm loving it.

You can get it here at http://www.auslogics.com
    Also check this thread. Some other users and myself have started compiling a list of these sorts of tools, with working links to their websites.

Swarvey, Apr 25, 2010
  6. LadyK

leokendall

I Hate it when people asks for tips on there computer and then people says Buy a new PC. May i ask how is that helping there computer? the one they wish to improve on?

If you want a lil more speed out of your computer, you can try a different operating system, one that is lil less demanding.
    you can upgrade the ram that is if you haven't done so already.
    You can turn of extra services that you don't need. (msconfig) and (services in administrative tools)
    Disk clean up and defrag
    change the power settings to max and keep it there.
    try older version software that uses less memory. (google oldversion)
    Try lighter software.
    set the appearance to look like the old windows 98.
    Some ideas, there are many more out there.

leokendall, May 5, 2010
  7. LadyK

Swarvey Moderator

* Try another operating system yes, but if the user is already running XP, then the only other real alternative is Linux, given the original question, do you really believe they're up to the task of installing another operating system at all?
    * Upgrading RAM doesn't really do as much for speed as you would think, it dose allow the machine to handle more though
    * Again, do you really think a user that has to ask about speeding up an older model computer has the know how, and should risk turning off services? Modifying the settings for the wrong services can result in BSOD's, instability, and even slow the system down further, not to mention disabling features that they may want.
    * Disk cleanup does NOTHING for speed, it simply (and un-effectively) removes some cache files, it never gets rid of all of them - Same goes for defrag, yes it puts things in order on your hard drive, but you only really see the effects of this in programs that hit the hard drive hard
    * Lighter software will run better on older platforms, but the only place you're really going to see lighter software take effect is in such things as real-time antivirus scanners and firewalls
    * Setting "classic" theme does nothing but reduce strain on the graphics peripherals - Trust me, i've got XP running on a desktop with a celeron 600MHz CPU with 128Mb RAM, dropping to the classic theme has done nothing for performance, it's disabling the fades and animations that make it appear to be faster

Which brings us right back to the universal answer, to the age old question. The only real way to make a computer faster is to up the resources it has. Faster CPU, Faster RAM, Faster HDD, Faster graphics chip. The only "faster" component you can update in an AAO is the hard drive, that's if you manage to find a 7200RPM (or higher) 2.5" SATA drive for it. Even the SSD's have their limits. Seeing as you cant put a faster processor in the machine, that's out, you can't put faster RAM in, only more of it and you can't upgrade the graphics chip. End result, replace it with a newer, faster, better model.

Swarvey, May 5, 2010
  8. LadyK

Jimux

Getting rid of MS Windows would be a first step to enhancement. And adequate memory will also improve things. I say adequate as there is no point in putting 2Gb ram in a box if you only ever peak at 450Mb usage, not unless you use a Linux distro that creates and runs from a ram disk. Then it would be considerably faster.
    Not only would a suitable Linux distro be faster in it's own right, but the huge choice of applications available mean you can use something that just does what you want it to rather than a bloated package that has bells and whistles that you will never use. However it would be a steep learning curve and much experimentation before you found your ideal apps. Start by installing a Linux distro onto a fast (class 6) SD card and then try it out.

Jimux, May 6, 2010
  9. LadyK

libssd

Solid State Drive = supercharge. I swapped out the 160gb HDD for a 32gb SSD that I found on Amazon for under $100. 0.25 ms response time makes a difference!

Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    Boot <20 seconds
    Shutdown <5 seconds
    App launch: 2-5 seconds for everything except Gimp and FireFox, which take about 10 seconds each.

Performance is now constrained by the Atom processor and system bus.

libssd, Aug 13, 2010
Ask a Question