How to make linpus "see" my Acronis TI FAT 32 partitions?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sstavross, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sstavross

sstavross

Hello!

I have AAO 120 HD for a couple of days now, and I decided to make some partitions in my hard disc. I know nothing about linux, so the easiest way for me was to boot from Acronis disc director USB stick and make the partitions very easy. The problem is that when I boot to Linpus I can't see my partitions!! Why is this? How can I fix it? My partitions are in FAT 32( not NTFS).
    Please help....

sstavross, Nov 18, 2008
  2. sstavross

rbil

Assuming TI did the job and the additional FAT32 partitions are properly created, you'll need to mount those partitions before Linpus can access them.

All of the following instructions are done from a terminal ...

First, determine what device assignments are being made for the partitions on your hard drive:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    This will list them all, and they'll look something like:

/dev/sda1 --- your ext2 partition that contains the OS
    /dev/sda2 --- your swap partition
    /dev/sda3 --- a partitition you've added
    /dev/sdaX --- further partitions. I have no idea how many you might have added.

Now that you know what you got there, you'll want to mount these new partition(s). You can do this from the command line each time, but it's more convenient to have them automount whenever your boot your system. To set this up, you'll do the following:

First, you'll create a mount point where the new partition will be mounted to. This is simply a directory on your hard drive. Typically, it's placed in the /mnt directory, but it can be placed anywhere, including in your home directory if you find that more convenient. So you'll want to create this directory. If it's outside your home directory, you'll need to use sudo. If it's in your home directory you won't need sudo, as you have rights to write to your home directory. So let's make one in the typical place /mnt. Call it what you will, for this example, I'll call it "datadrive" ...

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/datadrive
    Then you'll want to make it read/write for all ...

Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /mnt/datadrive
    OK, you've now created a mount point. You can repeat this if you have more than one new partition you want to mount, creating a new directory in /mnt or elsewhere as explained above.

Now, we're going to make this drive automount to the mount point everytime you boot up your system. To do this we need to edit the file /etc/fstab. But first we'll make a backup of that file, just for safety reasons:

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.original
    Now we edit the fstab file:

Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/fstab
    And we'll add a new line or lines, for each mountpoint ...

Code:
    /dev/sda3     /mnt/datadrive     vfat     defaults,umask=000     0   0
    Save the file. When you reboot, you should have access to the first FAT32 drive you've added by going to /mnt/datadrive

You can force a re-read of the fstab without rebooting by doing this:

Code:
    sudo mount -a
    This should work for you, but I can't test it here, as I've only got a SSD drive and hence only the regular 2 partitions.

HTH,

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 23, 2008
Ask a Question