How to: Install XP From USB memory stick/Flash drive

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jbird123, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jbird123

jbird123

Just finished installing XP on my new Aspire One 150 (120GB HD, 1GB RAM, Linux etc).

ITs up to the mods of course, but I think this post should be stickied, its the best how to on the subject I have found, got me through it 1st time, everything clearly explained and with links to the files needed and screenshots. Fantastic tut/howto.

Original post: viewtopic.php?f=38&p=4958#p4958

EDIT: Sorry, was meant to post in 'How to: Windows' Section

jbird123, Sep 29, 2008
  2. jbird123

Dailen1

So far it has already messed up for me at the first step after formatting my USB drive.

I was also using this as a guide.

Dailen1, Sep 29, 2008
  3. jbird123

jbird123

If you need any help then give me a shout, I felt pretty comfortable with the whole process and how it worked so I'll help you out my best

jbird123, Sep 30, 2008
  4. jbird123

Dailen1

This is BS, by the time I get past one step finally, I have to change even more things to get past the next step.

Hopefully I have this thing fixed soon but at this rate it may take another 6-12 hours.

Dailen1, Sep 30, 2008
  5. jbird123

jbird123

Are you following the tut I quoted above? I just went through it one step at a time no problems

jbird123, Sep 30, 2008
  6. jbird123

yegon

Guide worked a treat for me. Bought the Linux hdd model yesterday. Toyed with the idea of trying to get to grips with Linpus, but having zero experience of Linux and already being a heavy user of OSX and XP I just couldn't be bothered with yet another OS.

I was going to install TinyXP from a USB stick but couldn't quite get to grips with it so plumped for XP Pro Corps SP2 in the end. Fully updated over night, now very happy with my new toy! I've always lugged about my Macbook Pro when on the go, but it's total overkill really as when I'm out and about I only use it for browsing and watching videos. The AAO seemed an ideal and cheapy alternative, and I'm quite impressed at how nippy it all feels.

The only problem I've had is the WLAN card apparently disappearing, but disabling Power Saving Mode on it seems to have done the trick. Thank god! I really didn't want to return it for a new one, then install XP again so soon, eep!

Next - must buy 6 cell battery.

yegon, Oct 1, 2008
  7. jbird123

Dailen1

I think the problem is what I had feared originally. I was unable to load files from the hard drive of the aa1. Something is wrong with the hard drive so I am sending it in for repair.

Dailen1, Oct 1, 2008
  8. jbird123

Veazer

You guys should take a look at this app. I tried the 0.1 beta. Though it's still beta, it looks promising and very simple. I created a boot USB but didn't fully test it, i'm waiting for my new AAO to arrive. It does start up fine though.

If it works well for people please report back.

[​IMG]

Veazer, Oct 2, 2008
Ask a Question