how to install windows xp over windows 7?

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by rosefly, Feb 5, 2013.

1. rosefly

rosefly

i have a compaq presario cq56 and i want to erase windows 7 and install windows 7 but i cant ,,how can i do it.. i read about changing bios but i cant find any bios to change .need help thanks

rosefly, Feb 5, 2013
  2. rosefly

rosefly

when i insert the windows xp cd it reads it but then the screen goes blue and dont let me install windows xp

rosefly, Feb 7, 2013
  3. rosefly

LindaKay

I wish I knew how to do this. I definitely like Windows XP better than Windows 7. It is important to remember, however, that Microsoft is about to stop offering support for XP. They're trying to push everyone to the newer systems. :(

LindaKay, Jan 16, 2014
  4. rosefly

autograph

First of all, are you aware that Microsoft has stopped the support for Windows XP? It would not really do well in the next few years.
    Anyway, if you insist on installing Windows XP, you could look up how to boot up from a USB. I am afraid that your CD/DVD might be the issue here.

autograph, Feb 22, 2014
  5. rosefly

rosefly

I did not know that ,im going to try anyway from my usb then and thanks for your info really apreciate it

rosefly, Feb 23, 2014
  6. rosefly

Brian8gbSSDLinux

IF you really want to continue to use Windows XP can I suggest you look at Robolinux - http://www.robolinux.org/about/

It is not entirely FREE, they require (at least) $1.00 as a donation to download it and another (at least) $1.00 to downoad a Virtual machine to run Win XP inside of...

That way, it will not matter that MS no longer support it, because it will be shielded from Viruses, in a Linux Partition.

There are Videos of it in use - here http://www.robolinux.org/videos/

I am SERIOUSLY interested in getting a copy for myself... UPDATE -
    I am downloading it - NOW - for FREE - (it is a 1.7 Gb ISO) from
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/robolinux/
    Watch the LINUX section in a couple of days, I'll see How I get on with it... :)

UPDATE...
    Well I tried Robolinux... and the things they are asking money for are things that one can EASILY find how to do by reading the Virtualbox Help Files.

So, I went into both my PCLINUXOS Netbook and my Lubutu Netbooks and installed Virtualbox
    then I made a Virtual disk on each and installed Win XP in the Virtual disk on one Netbook and installed Win 7 in the Virtual disk on the other Netbook...

Win XP NO problems... works OK out of the box, installed Office 2007 and it is definitely good to go.

Windows 7 - cannot get the window size to 'fit' inside Virtualbox overlay (NOTE this is on a NETBOOK 1024 x 600 screen) I have to scroll up/down & sideways... THAT probably will not happen on a 20 inch Monitor...

Now to 'upgrade my wifes WIN XP computer to Lubuntu add Virtualbox and install Win XP in there.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 23, 2014
Ask a Question