HOW TO: Install Skype & VLC under Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Acer-1-SoftCoUk, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Acer-1-SoftCoUk

Acer-1-SoftCoUk

Opening up AA1's Interface.

Although you might be told by staff in PC World that you can't add secondary applications to the AA1's operating system: you actually can, quite easily. Linpus is just a customised version of Red Hat/Fedora Linux V8, and while it doesn't have the same amount of pre-packaged software Ubuntu does, there's still plenty out there.

Firstly, we need to open up the interface to allow extra software to be added.

1. Go to the green Files pane at the bottom right of the screen and left-click on My Documents.
    2. Now left-click on File & Terminal – you'll see a text window open with a $ prompt.
    3. Type in xfce-setting-show and press Enter – up pops the Xfce Desktop Manager
    4. Left-click on Desktop & Behaviour. Now tick 'Show Desktop Menu on Right Click'.

Now, if you close all those open windows & get back to the standard Aspire One desktop, you'll find that, if you now do a right-click, you'll get a Menu appear!

Installing Skype.

One of the most useful applications to run on the AA1 is 'Skype' – which turns the AA1 into a free Internet telephone, complete with webcam . Now, you just need to find a WiFi hotspot.

1. Go to http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux
    2. Click on Download Now & you'll see a version for Fedora 7 - we want this one.
    3. Click on it and choose to Open with Software Installer.
    4. Click Open and type in password password – now click Apply
    5. You'll see Dependencies Added – just click OK & it will Download Packages.
    6. You'll see Import Key? - Click Import Key button twice & Install Anyway
    7. Close all the open Windows, and then do a Right-Click anywhere on the Desktop,
    8. Up pops our Menu - Go to Network & select Skype.
    9. Accept Skype's user agreement & either Login or Sign Up.

Installing VLC Media Player.

While the AA1 does come with a basic movie player, it doesn't support the Divx & Xvid formats that are so very popular for movie downloads. If you install the VLC media player, you'll be able to play almost every video format available. I consider VLC an essential on both Windows & Linux.

1. Right-Click on the Desktop & select Terminal and type in the following lines at the $ prompt.
    2. sudo yum install fedora-release
    3. sudo rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
    4. sudo yum install vlc python-vlc mozilla-vlc
    5. When prompted answer Y & Enter, when complete close all open windows.
    6. Right Click anywhere on the Desktop & go to MultiMedia -> VLC Media Player.

Acer-1-SoftCoUk, Sep 30, 2008
  2. Acer-1-SoftCoUk

orionsem

hello,
    I am a new Linux user (coming from the beautiful world of Windows...) and followed your instructions about xfce. Unfortunately the terminal says "command not found" when I try to use xfce - whatever with spaces or not. typing in "xfce" only, lowercase does not help. (using an Aspire One 110 with Linpus, or course).
    Help please, you will be more than welcome...
    Jean

orionsem, Sep 30, 2008
  3. Acer-1-SoftCoUk

Grim Squeaker

Fedora 8 actually ;) Which is still quite old, since Fedora is well into core 9 nowadays.

Mplayer can btw easily be upgraded to play divx if one truly hates vlc. See here for more info.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 30, 2008
  4. Acer-1-SoftCoUk

Acer-1-SoftCoUk

Hi Jean, I just re-tried in on my own AA1, you just type:

xfce-setting-show

at the $ prompt and the panel comes up...

Acer-1-SoftCoUk, Sep 30, 2008
  5. Acer-1-SoftCoUk

bbbenny

Hi all. I very new at this just bought my Acer Aspire One with the 8 g hard drive. Running linux. I have tried the info here but when I use the commands all I keep getting is the message Connection refused.

Iam connected to the net via my wireless connection and the net on the Laptop is working fine is there something else I must activate for the terminal section to access the net.

Plz help ima lost and only bought this Laptop to play avi files.

Cheers

bbbenny, Oct 1, 2008
  6. Acer-1-SoftCoUk

Scribe

Tried installing Fedora7; typed 'password' when prompted for password but not accepted. any other suggestions?

Scribe, Oct 3, 2008
  7. Acer-1-SoftCoUk

shadow

Try to use password that you`ve set. If you haven`t set any - browse guides about advanced mode.

shadow, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question