How to get the icons for the memorycard reader back

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ca6, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ca6

ca6

After I installed the card reader drivers (CardRdr_Jmicron_v1.00.16.1.zip), the icons in explorer for any of the card slots would be corrupted, and only show a default icon.
    It seems like the icon file was not copied to the correct location.

To correct this, copy "JmCrIcon.dll" from the extracted driver archive, located in "CardRdr_Jmicron_v.1.00.16.01\CardRdr_Jmicron_v.1.00.16.01\Application\res\x32" to "%Windows/System32".

No reboot was necessary in my case.

ca6, Jan 13, 2009
  2. ca6

simbeb

You can have the icon of your choice for any drive, fixed, removable hdd, usb or sd.

You need an icon in the .ico format. Say you call it 'sd-icon':

-place the icon in the root of the drive you are using the icon for
    -open a notepad instance and enter the following:

[autorun]
    icon=\sd-icon.ico
    open=sd-icon.exe

save this as autorun.inf in the root of the drive(select 'all files' from the dropdown box to avoid saving it as a text file)

-use the same notepad instance that you just wrote and should still be open and save it as sd-icon.exe in the root of the drive

you should now have 3 items in the root of the drive for which you want an icon:
    sd-icon.ico
    autorun.inf
    sd-icon.exe

-make all three items as hidden files and read only files

-restart Windows if it's a fixed drive, remove and put back the drive if it's usb or sd.

That's it.

simbeb, Jan 14, 2009
  3. ca6

ca6

Have you tried this using the same driver as I have?
    I had a lot of issues getting the right icons back since this driver does not use the default Windows icons, rather than icons attached to the driver it self. Updating the registry where one would belive the error is located, does not bring the icons back in this case.

ca6, Jan 17, 2009
  4. ca6

simbeb

I am not sure I am quite getting all of what you said but I suggest you googled the Hitachi Microdrive driver. Install that one and I think you should be OK...

simbeb, Jan 20, 2009
  5. ca6

ca6

Yeah, it's pretty obvious ;)
    I wrote a guide about how to get the driver icons back if you install a certain driver, it was not a question....you are posting in the "How-to" sections.

ca6, Jan 21, 2009
Ask a Question