How to find downloaded program

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by steppiemum, Aug 1, 2008.

1. steppiemum

steppiemum

I am getting so frustrated, even though I love my little "one." I went to the Linux website which listed lots of applications that could be downloaded. I think I downloaded a bunch of games, including solitaire. It appears in my Downloads as zip archive or java archive. So, they show up under the Downloads for example as "jsolitaire2.1.1.zip" or "pyramid2-0-1.jar". I tried to get my "One" to open Solitaire and it asked with what ? So I said "java archive". Well, nothing happens. I probably screwed it up by telling it to use "java archive" to open up the games. I get pretty frustrated that I can't find these games now.

I have completely given up trying to put my Picasa on the desktop, although it seems that it should. Dale tried to help me, but none of my downloads (Picasa and the games I just tried) show up as applications. Therefore, I can't put them on the desktop. I can open Picasa by right clicking on the desktop, select run program, and typing in picasa. This doesn't work for the games that I just downloaded, however.

I know of no one who knows anything about this operating system. Is there a kind soul out there that would be willing to help me solve this dilemma? It's not earth shattering, but it sure would be nice.

Can anyone help? I'll even make a telephone call to you if you are able. My direct email is "[email protected]".

Thanks,
    Chris

steppiemum, Aug 1, 2008
  2. steppiemum

melody

I do have the same problem. i hope somebody get to know about this.

melody, Aug 4, 2008
  3. steppiemum

ammoQ

Could you please post the URL of this website where those programs can be downloaded? I could probably help you if I had those programs, too.

ammoQ, Aug 4, 2008
  4. steppiemum

steppiemum

Here is the website I used to download the games: "http://www.linux.org/apps/AppId_3798.html'

They definitely exist in my system as I can find them (sometimes--I'm still so new to linux). Right now, they have .jar and zip extensions. I told the "one" to open the program with a program I can't recall right now.

When I search on my desktop, I see 2 options. There are:

jsolitaire2.1.1.zip /home/user/Downloads 225.6 KB ZIP archive

and

jsolitaire2.1.1 /home/user/Downloads 4.0 KB folder

Now, the question is: how do I open these games up (I assume I can do it offline), and how would I go about putting shortcuts on the "fun" section of the desktop?

Thanks for your help.
    Chris

steppiemum, Aug 5, 2008
  5. steppiemum

AA1Rocks

Any experts out there who can shed some light please? experiencing the same issue, thanks.

AA1Rocks, Aug 5, 2008
  6. steppiemum

ammoQ

After you have unzipped jsolitaire2.1.1.zip, there is a file "index.html" in the folder. Start firefox, and use "file-open file" (or whatever this is called in your native-tongue installation) and open that index.html. Firefox will start the applets. Unfortunately, the preinstalled version of Java (GCJ iced tea) doesn't seem to work well with jsolitaire.

ammoQ, Aug 5, 2008
  7. steppiemum

steppiemum

Dear ammoQ,

I am sadly left with a lot of questions--however, I thank you for trying to help. Here is my problem: How do I "unzip" the file? What processes do I go through to do that? Next, how do I start "firefox?" Is it something that is already installed? How do I determine what my "native tongue" installation is? Are you saying that the java version that is intalled in my "one" won't work with these games? There just has to be a way!

Thanks if you have the patience to try to help me again.

Chris

steppiemum, Aug 5, 2008
Ask a Question