How to export from Outlook Express to Linpus email client

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sunyata, Sep 11, 2008.

1. sunyata

sunyata

Can you please guide me how to export all my email and address book from my Outlook Express to the email client that comes with the AA1 Linpus? What about exporting back from Linpus to Outlook Express?
    I plan to buy the AAI for my frequent travels, and when I return from each trip, I need to be able to export the bulk of emails back to my home-based desktop XP computer on which I use Outlook Express.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks.

sunyata, Sep 11, 2008
  2. sunyata

AcerRD

Question 1: How to export from Outlook Express to Aspire One Mail?
    Answer: Currently, Aspire One Mail doesn't support import/export function. It will soon be supported.

Question 2: How to sync address book between Outlook Express and Aspire one Mail ?
    Answer: You can import/export ACS contacts to Outlook Express and Outlook 2007 by vCard format.
    The section 3.6 and 3.7 on help document describle how to import/export vCard format.

AcerRD, Sep 11, 2008
  3. sunyata

ftapon

How to export from Outlook to Linpus email client

I have a related question: How does one export from Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Express) to the Aspire One Mail client?

It seems that the default Linpus client only allows vCard imports. Is that right? I can't believe they didn't set it up to import .csv files, the most common way to do it.

Although Outlook lets you export one vCard at a time, if you have 1,200 contacts, then you need something more efficient, and the only way I know how to do that is by using a third party solution that costs $20, which I really don't want to do.

AcerRD says: "Answer: Currently, Aspire One Mail doesn't support import/export function. It will soon be supported."

What does "soon" mean? One week? One month? One year?

Assuming it's they will take more than a couple of weeks to add this feature, what workaround do you suggest I use. I don't want to use webmail.

Many talk of the Thunderbird app, which I assume imports CSV files effortlessly. I want to minimize the number of new apps I install, because they take space and it's not so easy to do in Linux. However, I'll do it if that's the only option. Is Thunderbird the way to go if I want to import my 1,200 contacts?

Thanks.

Francis Tapon
    http://FrancisTapon.com.

ftapon, Sep 19, 2008
  4. sunyata

kevin

Re: How to export from Outlook to Linpus email client

Thunderbird will import contacts in CSV format and a number of others. You have to be a bit careful about how you lay out the data in the file. But this is well documented. It also claims to be able to import from outlook and outlook express, although I haven't tried and so I've no idea how well it works.

The great thing about Thunderbird for me is that it can (with a plug-in) import contacts from Google Mail.

As for installation being difficult, I did

% sudo yum install thunderbird

and that was it. The only difficult bit was getting rid of the Acer apps afterwards to reclaim the disk space.

kevin, Sep 19, 2008
  5. sunyata

ftapon

Kevin: Thank you for your excellent response.

Can you point me to a place to find out how to uninstall the Aspire One Mail Client?

I'll try to install Thunderbird first, unless someone knows when Acer will update the default mail client.

Thanks!

ftapon, Sep 20, 2008
  6. sunyata

kevin

Um... I can't remember. And now it's gone, I can't find out :( Sorry.

The best I can remember is that the package is called something like `AME'

So you should be able to do

% sudo rpm -e AME

But, obviously, don't do this until you've got a working alternative in place :)

kevin, Sep 20, 2008
  7. sunyata

Grim Squeaker

To return to the original question:

1. Export your contact list from outlook to csv
    2. Import contact list into gmail
    3. Export contact list from gmail to .vcf
    4. Import .vcf contact list into Acers contacts program.

This somewhat works - names, emailadresses and phonenumbers seem to be transferred correctly. Adresses (home and work) however are not.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 21, 2008
  8. sunyata

ftapon

Thank you Grim! I really want ALL the data transfered over. It's a pity that the addresses are left behind.

Do you know if Thunderbird (or some other mail client) does a better job at importing it?

Thanks!

ftapon, Sep 23, 2008
  9. sunyata

daldred

Thunderbird does import CSV, and will handle 1200 incoming contacts without any problems (I've done the same, albeit not from Outlook as I wouldn't touch that with a very long pointy thing).

What exactly is difficult about installing Linux applications? People keep saying this, but the process is:

• Select Add/Remove programs from the menu, and enter your password when prompted[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]
    • Find the application you want on the Search tab, and tick the box[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]
    • Click 'Apply'[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]
    • Close the installer and find your application on the menu[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]

Unless you want a voice interface so that you can just say 'Please install Thunderbird for me', I don't know what you are expecting to be easier!

The Windows approach (having had to install something on my son's laptop last night) seems to be:
    • Find the application on a website somewhere, navigating through a number of pages until you find the actual download link[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]
    • Pay for it (if necessary - not for Thunderbird, of course)[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]
    • Download it[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]
    • Navigate to where it's been downloaded[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]
    • Right click on it and left-click 'Run as Admin' from the menu[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]
    • Answer questions during the install process, most of which amount to 'are you sure'[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]
    • Close the installer, your browser and the Explorer window you used to find the downloaded file, and find your application on the menu[/*:m:1iqfvwr2]

Now that's a process which isn't easy!

daldred, Sep 23, 2008
  10. sunyata

kevin

Nothing, if the repository you're using for installation has been set up properly. Basically, with Linux you're relying on the repository managers to make installation light work, while with Windows you're relying on the app developers. Which of these works best depends on the skills of the individuals concerned :)

With Linux, many users enter a world of pain when they start to install software that isn't in a maintained repository. That's when you run the risk of ending up in dependency hell -- X depends on Y which depends on Z, but Y and Z both depend on different versions of A (or whatever). With Windows, either the app developer has packaged his app properly or he hasn't. If he hasn't, it isn't going to work and that's the end of the story. Linux, as always, gives you sufficient rope to hang yourself.

kevin, Sep 23, 2008
  11. sunyata

daldred

What that seems to come down to is this: if your Windows program doesn't work, you're likely to walk away; if the Linux one doesn't, you're likely to start trying to make it work (on the basis that the reason it doesn't work may be solvable). It's not a question of installation process, but of expectation - and the degree to which you try to sort out problems; perhaps a strange mix of high expectations about Linux apps working, and the sense that Linux "should" be difficult.

I think that's accurate, but actually says more about the sort of people who have historically used each OS. If people who are used to walking away from non-working Windows apps simply do the same with non-working Linux ones, they'll have no more problems!

daldred, Sep 23, 2008
Ask a Question