How to easily remove linux from your XP Aspire One

Discussion in 'Linux' started by electricroo, Mar 5, 2009.

1. electricroo

electricroo

I have seen many asking how to get linux off of thier XP Aspire One. I recently got an A150 so of course I had to see what could be done with it. I have been following the linux community for about 5 years, and at the latest release of Ubuntu I am happy to say that I have replaced Windows on my desktop PC. In my opinion Linux is almot a par with windos, I would say 90%, making it very useable. I would think that Linux has a great window of oppertunity this year before the release of Windows 7, to get it perfect.
    Anyway, saying that, I installed Ubuntu with the Remix on my new Aspire One A150. While it works, I am not at the point where I want to use it yet on my Aspire One. Most likely the next release of Ubuntu will be the one to use.
    So how do you remove linux, especially if you do not have an external CD for your Aspire One.
    1. You need an XP install disk.
    2. A USB mem stick, (mine is a 1gb)
    3. A copy of partition magic.

1. Format your USB memory as Fat 32.
    2. On another PC copy the I386 folder from your XP install CD to the USB memory stick.
    3. On another PC copy the install files from your Partition Magic CD to your USB stick.
    4. Boot your Aspire One to Windows, insert the USB memory. Connect to the Internet
    (Needed to update files) Click on START, then RUN.
    In the command line window type (without the quotes) "X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons".
    Where "X" is the drive letter of you USB stick. Most likly your XP install CD is an older version,
    so if you get a warning that "The version you are trying to install is older" ignore it and close the popup
    window. Next click on the window that is asking you to install the Recovery Consul. It will install an
    update the nessasary files form the internet.
    5. When done reboot the Aspire One to windows, choose recovery consul. When the recovery consul
    is loaded, type "fixmbr" (without the quotes). You will get a warning asking you to confirm, type Y
    and press enter. When done type EXIT and boot back to windows.
    6. Click START, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management. Click on Storage, then Disk
    Management. Highlight the Linux partitions ( there should be two), right click and delete. (Careful not to
    delete your windows partition.)
    7. Install Partition Magic from you USB stick, run it and resize your Windows Partition back to it's orginal size.
    Note: You could also delete the Linux Partitions form Partition Magic if you wish.

One warning, MAKE SURE YOU RESET THE MBR BEFORE DELETING THE LINUX PARTITIONS OR THE ASPIRE ONE
    WILL NOT BOOT!

Hope this helps!

electricroo, Mar 5, 2009
  2. electricroo

Aspiration

<Hope it is much easier to read without the atrocious spelling and grammatical errors. CAPITOL LETTERS INDICATE WHERE BASIC LANGUAGE SKILLS NEEDED FIXING.>

Aspiration, Apr 22, 2009
  3. electricroo

thescreensaver24

I have followed the following steps, but when i select the recovery console from boot up i get a "can't read disk" error. I have tried twice to do it, i uninstalled then tried again and got the same error!

Any help appreciated!

thescreensaver24, Apr 22, 2009
  4. electricroo

Aspiration

You can always use a sledge hammer! Haha. Just kidding. But it will need some serious surgery to put Linux back on it if you want it working.

Sledge hammers word great on stubborn windows pcs. I highly recommend it.

Aspiration, May 2, 2009
Ask a Question