How to disable idle animation?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rlankine, Aug 7, 2008.

1. rlankine

rlankine

How do I disable the idle animation that kicks in after a few minutes of inactivity?

Hovering over "Display" section of the Settings panel pops up a tool tip saying that screen saver settings could be manipulated there, but the only option in the resultant dialog is the screen resolution (and yet, even that is a non-option since there's only one to choose from!). I've also tried experimenting with the "Power Management" section, but none of the suspend timer options seem to affect the idle animation delay in any way.

I never use the laptop with a CRT, so I'd be fine just to disable the idle animation altogether. My concrete problem however is to keep the animation from kicking in while I watch a longer movie with the VLC player.

Thanks a lot in advance!

rlankine, Aug 7, 2008
  2. rlankine

vold

Alt-F2, type terminal to open a terminal. Type gnome-screensaver-preferences. The settings are all in there.

OR

Inhibit it while VLC is running from the command line
    gnome-screensaver-command -i -n vlc -r test
    assuming vlc is what the VLC application is actually called.

The thing about linpus is it's a bit of a mashup of kde, xfce, gnome, and custom bits. Best way to find out what does what is either try:

ps auxc | grep <whatever you think it might be> and then look for it in google, or try rpm -qa | grep <whatever you think it might be> and google that.

localhost,user /etc/rc.d > ps auxc | grep screen
    user 2685 0.0 1.0 17308 5192 ? Ss 18:14 0:04 gnome-screensav
    localhost,user /etc/rc.d > rpm -qa | grep saver
    gnome-screensaver-2.20.0-9lp

vold, Aug 7, 2008
  3. rlankine

rlankine

Thank you very much, this looks like it solves my problem.

Now, this...
    ... is a cool trick that did not occur to me, but I instantly recognized how it works due some Unix experience under my belt from the distant past.

Actually I bought the Acer just as a "net appliance" for home & travel, but the more I dig into it, the more I get these Unix flashbacks... creepy! ;-)

rlankine, Aug 8, 2008
Ask a Question