How to create recovery USB device with Apple Mac?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by vickoxy, Oct 11, 2008.

1. vickoxy

vickoxy

Hi,
    i want to reinstall my Linux system on my AAO, and i have only one Apple Mac C2D MacBook. Does anyone knows how to create recovery USB device with a Mac Computer? I really do not know how to work in BIOS, so i need this help.
    Thanks

vickoxy, Oct 11, 2008
  2. vickoxy

C.S. Graves

I too am a Mac/Aspire One user, and I'd like to see if there's a procedure available to us as well.

C.S. Graves, Oct 18, 2008
  3. vickoxy

steven.chien

You first need a software like Parallel, VM ware. You first need to create a new machine, choose the system type to Linux, Other Kernel 2.6 then start to install, after booting the DVD on the virtual machine, follow the on screen instruction and everything will be cool!

steven.chien, Oct 19, 2008
  4. vickoxy

jsebrech

Intel macs are just fancy PC's with a slightly special BIOS, so you don't need vmware or parallels.

Put the cd in the drive, put a usb key in a usb port, restart the mac, and hold down 'c' to boot from cdrom. The recovery dvd will boot normally and you'll be able to create the usb key as you would normally do on a PC.

One gotcha: the recovery dvd did not detect the internal trackpad on my macbook, so I had to use an external usb mouse.

jsebrech, Nov 11, 2008
  5. vickoxy

pjn100

I found that I could boot up with the recovery DVD ok starting up and pressing the "C" key. But than there was a problem in that the click icons didn't work even though the mouse moved the screen arrow OK. I found that by removing and plugging back in the mouse directly into the back of the iMac I could get the next click to happen - had to do this at each stage. Wierd.

pjn100, May 2, 2009
Ask a Question