How to change the screen resolution?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aspiretwo, Jul 13, 2008.

1. aspiretwo

aspiretwo

I have been trying to connect the new aspire one with an external LCD 3:4 monitor for 2 days. The screen in the external one is always 1024x600 which looks so bad. Can someone change Aspireone's sreen resolution on Linpus?
    Thanks

aspiretwo, Jul 13, 2008
  2. aspiretwo

bdogg64

I doubt you can do this easily without digging in some config files. So far, the only thing I dont like about the Linpux Lite distribution is that its dumbed down a little too much. I understand that they make it where you can't easily mess up the system, but when is enough enough. I guess thats why I installed Ubuntu, which gave me a lot more flexibility as to how my system looks and feels. :)

bdogg64, Jul 13, 2008
  3. aspiretwo

aspiretwo

Bdogg64, you are right. I change the resolution to 800x600.
    All I did is to change the sreen\Virtual subsection in xorg.conf from 1024x600 to 800x600, then restart.
    The problem is that the desktop is messed up, but it looks on an external 4:3 monitor.

aspiretwo, Jul 15, 2008
  4. aspiretwo

madisonman

I tried this but when I save the file I get a "Can't open file to write" error. Any ideas?

madisonman, Jul 29, 2008
  5. aspiretwo

ptechno

Madison, try to open it through terminal but logged as root (command "su")
    And one thing... Can I make the resolution bigger instead of lower? Thanks.

ptechno, Jul 29, 2008
  6. aspiretwo

madisonman

Thanks. Works now. I didn't know you had to do everything from the terminal.

I changed the virtual to 800x600, but when I restart without vga plugged in, the One is displaying at 800x600 instead of 1024. I can change the virtual setting back to 1024x600, but I'd like to not have to get root access every time I want to use an external monitor. I've been looking for a thread I saw a couple weeks ago before I had my One but can't find it.

Any solutions?

madisonman, Jul 29, 2008
Ask a Question