How to buy a good phone line for 56k?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steven.chien, Oct 4, 2008.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

I know that this question may be a little bit silly, but how can i buy good quality phone line? My current phone line has been used for nearly 20 years, and I heard noise from it recently, i think that is why the speed decrease recently. How to determine if the line is good quality, any brand suggested(international brand because i am in Hong Kong)
    Thank you!

another question, which 56k modem will work with aspire one? from a USRobotics's ad, they claim that their modem works with Mac OS X, windows, Linux, does this mean that i can use USR modem with aspire one?

steven.chien, Oct 4, 2008
  2. steven.chien

steven.chien

can anyone answer me??

steven.chien, Oct 4, 2008
  3. steven.chien

melhiore

First of all. What type of modem you mean?? RS232 modem or USB modem. What operating system you use??

Probably is very difficult to answer to your question about landline in your country - how many users coming from Hong Kong??

melhiore, Oct 4, 2008
  4. steven.chien

Tamrac

USR? I don't think that company still exists.... anyway, use any USB 56K modem. It will work with the AAO. Asuming you're using XP on it. Good phoneline? Call your telecom company and ask for a cabling replacement for your home. Or why not just subscribe a DSL line? Dial-up is sooo ssooo sllowww.... from what area are you anyway?

Tamrac, Oct 4, 2008
  5. steven.chien

Dartsani

Should state the obvious?
    Cant understand why someone wants to use modem in such an high tech place....

Dartsani, Oct 4, 2008
  6. steven.chien

steven.chien

well, it sounds funny that i am still using 56k while every body around me are using broadband, the main purpose for me to use a computer will be light office works, watching news and check emails, 56k is more than enough as i won't watch online videos or download music.

USR don't exist? really?!! I just saw their Ad on Macworld on the last(or last last) issue on their 56k modem, claiming that their modems works on all platform: Mac, Windows and Linux, thats why i am asking this question!

sorry for not stating clear, I am using a AA1 Linux edition!

steven.chien, Oct 5, 2008
  7. steven.chien

melhiore

TBH - 56k is really, really poor. Downloading music will take you ages and watching online video is next to impossible I'm afraid...

I already ask this question but again: what type of modem you planning to use?? In both versions (RS232 and USB) there is a couple of problems for Linux beginner. Either you have to use USB to RS232 converter or play with USB support for 56k modem. It may be USB support for this type of modem will be OK but you have to check it yourself. I believe most of people here using broadband connection...

melhiore, Oct 5, 2008
  8. steven.chien

steven.chien

sorry sorry! I plan to use a USB modem

steven.chien, Oct 5, 2008
  9. steven.chien

melhiore

melhiore, Oct 5, 2008
  10. steven.chien

beepbeep

Even if he's using DSL, he would still need to have good quality internal wiring(in fact more so). Moisture and high humidity (such as the weather in HK, or basements in North America) can degrade wiring. A lot of phone wiring in older residences in HK are staticky. He should call the phone company to replace the wiring, or just replace it himself, depending on where the source of problem is. Sometimes it's not the wiring, but the junction box inside, or outside of his flat.

beepbeep, Oct 7, 2008
  11. steven.chien

steven.chien

thanks beepbeep, your answer is helpful to me!

steven.chien, Oct 10, 2008
  12. steven.chien

Tamrac

USR does still exist, hehe. My bad. It's just that it was purchased by 3com some years back, and I havent heard from USR for quite some time now. I've had dozens of USR courriers before when I still owned a small ISP, hehe. So anyway..... I googled there site, and it's like nostalgia... sportsters courriers are still in production. :lol:

if you're on Linux, better find a modem that supports it by going to the company website to see if they have drivers for linux. USB modems are software based, so you will really need these specific drivers. Unlike the older serial port modems, w/c can be used on linux without need for any drivers.

Tamrac, Oct 10, 2008
  13. steven.chien

steven.chien

from some books and websites, i know that Controller based modem will mostly work on Linux, but it's hard to get the software/controller-less(winmodem) to work

steven.chien, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question