How to adjust Memory Timings!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Amagewick, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Amagewick

Amagewick

I have been playing around with this AOA150 ever since doing the TME Unlock mod (to unlock overclocking). I have been having some success with the memory timings. I wanted to do this to try to give the video card and cpu some more breathing room, if any more at all is even possible. What do you need? A program called MEMSET. What I do not know is if the TME Unlock mod that I did also unlocked the MCHBAR, or if the MCHBAR was unlocked already. You need the MCHBAR to be unlocked in order to use MEMSET to change the ram timings.

CAN SOMEONE VERIFY THAT THIS WORKS for those that have NOT done the TME Unlock mod????

Here are the timings in MEMSET that I have at this time! Sorry for the formatting! "?" means that I see no difference with the test I am using. There could be a difference with another test and I am just not seeing it. These are initial tests, so any intensive programs may or may not crash at these timings.

Name................................STD........SET
    CAS Latency (CL)...................4...........N/A <----- Cannot change with MEMSET (Wish I could)
    RAS to CAS (tRCD).................4...........3 <-------- Nice Drop In RAM Latency (2=BSOD)
    RAS Precharge (tRP)................4..........3 <-------- ?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)............12.........8 <--------- ?
    Refresh Mode Select (RMS).......7,8us.....15,6us <---- Higher is "faster" (slight decrease in latency)(Disabled=BSOD)
    Page Close Idle Timer.............8T.........0T <-------- Slight decrease in latency (maybe 1ms)
    Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC)........34..........26 <------- ? (22=BSOD)
    Read Delay (tRD)....................4..........3 <--------- Nice Drop In RAM Latency
    Write to Precharge Command......11........9 <--------- ?
    Write to Read Command............9.........9 <--------- (8 = BSOD)
    Write-Read Turnaround clocks.....5.........4 <--------- ?
    Read-Write Turnaround clocks.....6.........N/A <----- 6 is lowest value
    Read to Precharge (tRTP)..........4.........N/A <----- 4 is lowest value
    Write-Write turnaround clocks.....5.........3 <-------- ?
    Precharge to Precharge Delay......1.........N/A <----- 1 is lowest value

What I/we need to figure out is how to unlock or change the CAS Latency option, because that one has the biggest performance factor. If we can get it from 4 to 3 we may see a nice increase. I will be off to looking at the registers some more, so I may find it. Anyone else can help if they like too. Lets figure this out. :)

Amagewick, Aug 19, 2010
  2. Amagewick

Amagewick

I have a friend of mine with the larger aspire series (10inch screen?), and his MCHBAR was unlockable from the factory with MemSet. I would assume that mine was as well, and that the TME mod didn't do it, but if someone could still verify that would be great.

Amagewick, Sep 2, 2010
  3. Amagewick

Amagewick

I also have someone with the 10inch model and it is unlocked by default.

Amagewick, Nov 18, 2010
Ask a Question