How to add your own web links to 'Connect'

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by crabfish0, Jan 15, 2009.

1. crabfish0

crabfish0

By default there is "Hotmail", "Wikpedia" and "Google Maps", but I'd like to be able to add my own - especially as I can't get the messenger to work, even after a live update.

Is this possible?

crabfish0, Jan 15, 2009
  2. crabfish0

markh

You can ask firefox to launch with a specific website with a command line argument - just put the site address in quotes afterwards.

So if the command to launch firefox is firefox, then
    Code:
    firefox "www.something.com"
    will launch firefox with something.com. Best way to proceed is to look at your .desktop file for firefox, see what the command in the exec= line is, and create a new .desktop file for your group-app.xml based on that.

(That's assuming you've searched for and found instructions on adding icon to the desktop)

markh, Jan 15, 2009
  3. crabfish0

crabfish0

Sorry, I don't quite understand, what do I need to add to the group-app.xml file? And is there anything else I have to do elsewhere?

crabfish0, Jan 15, 2009
  4. crabfish0

markh

For more info on editing your desktop try this thread.

But briefly, go into the terminal (alt-f2, type terminal) and enter
    Code:
    mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml
    which will show you the file that controls the whole thing.

It's full of entries like this:
    <app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/linpus-web.desktop</app>
    which gives a link to a .desktop file, which a file with info on the name, icon, command etc for the program. Go work out which is your firefox one using
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /usr/share/applications/whatever. desktop
    and you'll find a line starting "exec=". Whatever follows that is the actual command to launch firefox. After all that, it'll probably turn out to just be firefox, but nevermind :)
    So, to launch firefox with a particular page, you need to put "pagename" after it. Create a new .desktop file in the same dir (you could just copy the firefox one and adjust it) with your desired command. Then put an entry for it in group-app.xml (again, just copy the firefox one). Be careful of the "sequence=", each of which has to be unique for each entry in a section.

markh, Jan 15, 2009
  5. crabfish0

crabfish0

Thanks for the help - I've now got a fully working link to Meebo complete with the same icon used for the "messenger" app. :D

crabfish0, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question