How to add web browser after xfce install

Discussion in 'Linux' started by leebee, May 2, 2009.

1. leebee

leebee

Please forgive me - I am a complete Linux virgin: bought a aspire 150 few days and decided that I wanted to change desktop settings which I have now done successly. Unfortunately now I have lost mozilla web browser - I appreciate this is not now a default. Please how do I install this. All network connections etc are running perfect I just cant load get beyond browser on desktop page.

leebee, May 2, 2009
  2. leebee

solpuerto

Hi leebee

It will help if you explain what you have changed your desktop settings to.

solpuerto, May 2, 2009
  3. leebee

leebee

Sorry thought title block explained it - changed default settings to xfce advanced destop using

"xfce-setting-show"
    Clicked on desktop and choose the behaviour tab; Under Menus tab click option for show desktop menu.
    Everything worked great - except no web browser - I have tried entering mozilla/firefox etc under the preferred applications route but nothing happening. When I click on browser the symbol just whirls then nothing.

Please help really at end of my tether as I think I have ruined it and now just considering buying an external drive and restoring factory settings.

leebee, May 3, 2009
  4. leebee

solpuerto

Hi leebee

Your title does not indicate that you have set up the xfce menu by right clicking on the mouse. Xfce is a desktop in its own right and is quite different from the standard Acer desktop. Xfce desktop gives you a more "Windows" type of feel.

Having said that if you have set up the "Advanced Menu" I see no reason why that on its own should have affected Firefox.

Have you tried opening either Broweser or Firefox web browser under the Network item?

If you have then try right click on the Firefox desktop icon and open Properties and the Launcher, and check if the screen identical to this,
    [attachment=0:hggp529g]Firefox.png[/attachment:hggp529g]
    If not I suggest you edit it to the above particularly the command line and display options.

solpuerto, May 3, 2009
  5. leebee

leebee

Now i feel really stupid - when i right click mouse button and go to network there is no firefox there. All i have is acercontact, email, gFTP, Messenger & RSS Reader.

leebee, May 3, 2009
  6. leebee

solpuerto

Hi leebee

Did you try the right click on the desk top Browser Icon as I suggested above? The part about the Launcher screen.

Other than the Menu change have you implemented/tried any other mods?

I assume you have another PC to allow you to post here. If it is Windows you should be able to build a USB recovery from the Acer CD. There are instructions on how to do this in the package you bought. You will need a 2GB USB drive, much cheaper than an external CD/DVD drive.

solpuerto, May 3, 2009
Ask a Question