how to add applications to the linpus linux lite interface

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Cesium, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Cesium

Cesium

I'm having trouble adding software to my acer aspire one. I can download and install programs from the repository. It tells me I was successful, but I can't find the icon on my desktop to launch the program. I've heard I need to edit an xml file- but I have no idea how, or what to type. Can anyone help? I've seen a similar thread elsewhere on this site, but no answers. Youtube had a video a while back (it's gone now) that described that you had to edit a file and tell it what "slot" to put the icon in. If that helps anyone...

Cesium, Aug 20, 2008
  2. Cesium

Cesium

Just to clarify- the application that i installed was abiword. I've found it on the sd drive of my acer and if i type in abiword in a terminal the program starts up no problems at all. I just don't have an icon to click on my desktop. Anybody know how to add an icon to the desktop "work" pane?

Cesium, Aug 20, 2008
  3. Cesium

Cesium

ok- got it solved. If anybody is interested I found that youtube video and the instructions on it are 99% correct.
    Here's the link

the only problem is he's guessing when he talks about the ".desktop" file. He's just taking the name of the app and adding ".desktop" in this video. This isn't always the case. I installed abiword and if you use the "my files" file manager to view the /usr/share/application to find the app you want, the .desktop file isn't really named it's actual name. For instance, I installed abiword and just using "abiword.desktop" doesn't work. I did a search from the desktop search pane (the one on the top) for .desktop files and in the folder for /usr/share/applications my .desktop file was actually named fedora-redhat.desktop. Other than that his directions are really good and likely 99% of the time his shortcut should work. You should check out his other videos too- he's figured out some pretty cool things that are useful to anybody just starting out.

Cesium, Aug 21, 2008
  4. Cesium

Raido

"He"? Ho hum. I guess someone wasn't quite listening ;)

Raido, Aug 21, 2008
  5. Cesium

Cesium

<cough> um, my bad...

Cesium, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question