How old is you laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by vinaya, Mar 15, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

My laptop is six years old. During these years, my laptop has crashed only once. However, it occurred due to my negligence. My antivirus had expired and I was dillydallying to renew. In the mean time, virus infected my hard drive and my laptop crashed.

vinaya, Mar 15, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. vinaya

GearZ

My current notebook is a MacBook Air. IIRC, it is like 2 years old at most. I finally upgraded from a much chunkier Mac-based device. So far, so good.

GearZ, Mar 15, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. vinaya

IBMPC8088

The oldest one I have right now is about 8 years old (asus netbook), and the newest is an HP (3 months old). I have one or two other systems between the constantly cycled ones, but that's the newest and oldest of the ones that I keep and use daily or yearly.

IBMPC8088, Mar 15, 2016
  4. vinaya

Corzhens

My laptop is more than 2 years old and I'd say it's still in fashion, kinda new. But I'm sure if my husband would pursue his plan of buying a new laptop then my laptop will be old compared to his, that is in terms of functions. I had learned of the SSD storage here and probably that would be given emphasis by my husband because he is conscious of the overheating disk drives (internal or external). I know that SSD with no moving parts would appeal to him.

With the brand and model, I think he is considering an Acer maybe because of the price.

Corzhens, Mar 15, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. vinaya

acer93

Mine was 8 years old this january, and old acer one.

I just got a new Lenovo ideapad, and I am quite disappointed to tell the truth, I mean somehow it is just keeps freezing and shutting down, I mean I guess its more like a software problem but somhow my old acer even in its last years was more stable.

acer93, Mar 15, 2016
  6. vinaya

IcyBC

My current laptop is MacBook Air, and it will be one year old by June. I don't have any problem with it (knock on wood, cross my fingers).

IcyBC, Mar 16, 2016
  7. vinaya

hafiz93

My Toshiba laptop is about to reach 5 years old by next month. It has shut down by itself quite frequent recently due to overheating and that usually happens when I'm not using any cooling pad. My laptop is definitely getting weaker in terms of performance but I'll still use it as long as it still lives.

hafiz93, Mar 18, 2016
  8. vinaya

Dilof

My laptop is currently two years old and was given to me for free by a government scheme so that I could study easily and freely without having to stress about how I'm going to do things.

Dilof, Mar 18, 2016
  9. vinaya

CasualGoofy

My Alienware notebook is about 6 years old and have been dropped a number of times on floor. It's still in one piece with minor scuff at the edges. My oldest laptop is about 10 years old and still working. I use Alienware more because it fits better in my messenger bag.

CasualGoofy, Mar 19, 2016
  10. vinaya

1Kye

My laptop is only 6 months old as of now. I try to maintain the new laptop as much as possible so that I could lengthen the time the laptop takes to decay. I take precautions such as only using the battery when I have to. To future proof it a little more, i took the liberty of installing a 480 gigabyte solid state drive so there wouldn't be much storage issues in the future. I hope this one lasts a little longer than my previous laptop.

1Kye, Mar 25, 2016
  11. vinaya

ForeverANewbie

My laptop is just over 8 months old right now. It runs about as well as you would expect a laptop that is used everyday. I try to install as little programs to it as possible, to reduce CPU usage, but I must admit I need to have Steam and Avira Free Antivirus running at the same time.

The battery is still going strong, but there was a brief period where it would run out of power very quickly despite being new.

ForeverANewbie, Mar 25, 2016
  12. vinaya

SirJoe

I will have my laptop for a year next month. I'm so so happy with it, I think I should have bought something better at the time but opted for this computer instead because my previous computer had conked out and I needed to replace it.

SirJoe, Mar 25, 2016
  13. vinaya

djordjem87

The poor thing is several years old. Say...3 years or so. However, it is not mine it is my sister's and it ran on Windows until I started using it. Now it is on Linux. Even though I installed anti.virus software, somehow, she managed to pick up too many viruses and now I do not have anti-virus but it is Linux. It is quite old but I do not need anything newer right now. I do have a problem on re booting which I hope I will solve.

djordjem87, Mar 26, 2016
  14. vinaya

spence88

Going to add mine here. I have an ASUS G75VW. I did heavy gaming sessions with it when it was still new, but now I mainly use it for recording and uploading videos to my YouTube channel. It runs fast and silent even on high load, in fact it is one of the most silent gaming laptops I've ever seen. Its design is inspired by the stealth fighter plane. The only drawback is its size, although of course, that's preferable when gaming. But now that I'm not gaming, it's a huge hassle to carry it around. Overall, I am happy with its performance. I never had any problems with it except for a few restarts due to overheating. They are mostly my fault for not cleaning the vents. Now it turns 3 years old this April and still going strong.

spence88, Mar 30, 2016
  15. vinaya

Sefie

My oldest laptop is 8 years old :p It's a Toshiba Satellite. I bought it at an Office Depot store back in 2008, I remember it like it was just yesterday. My newest one is almost one year and half years old :) Sadly I had to pay to get a new keyboard not so long ago, my cat spilled water over the keyboard D: I'm lucky the damage wasn't worse.

Sefie, Apr 1, 2016
  16. vinaya

fcuco

My oldest laptop will be 10 years now, and guess what, the thing still runs. The battery died a long time ago, and the optical drive is dead too. That's expected, batteries have a limited amount of charges on then before dying. I wonder if I could find a replacement but it is not worth it , I simply use the thing while connected to the power since it is a huge desktop replacement and not very portable laptop anyway. My youngest hardware is 2 years old and it is starting to show its age, but my next computer is going to be a very powerful desktop workstation for programing, I can't do that on my laptops because I need at least 3 big displays to be able to do any serious development.

fcuco, Apr 2, 2016
  17. vinaya

Mikitty

My laptop is about 2.5 years old. I originally got it for university classes, though I'm mainly using it for doing assignments at home, watching Netflix, and very rarely light games. Although it's not that old yet, the battery doesn't last much longer than 2 hours on a good day, and it takes ages to boot. Still, it works fine for what I'm using it, though I sometimes regret not getting a smaller model, but it was one of the more inexpensive laptops for sale. I think I'll definitely get a more expensive one next time, though, even if it's just for a longer battery life.

Mikitty, Apr 2, 2016
  18. vinaya

artyarson

Mine is like 5 or 6 years. Operates well. Unfortunately, the older it gets, the way more often it shuts itself down automatically. Overheating is involved.

artyarson, Apr 2, 2016
  19. vinaya

vinaya

So you used your laptop for 8 years! MY laptop is 6 years old and I was thinking I was using very old laptop. Since I don't have any big problems with my laptop, I am not yet considering to ditch my laptop. I will continue to use it.

vinaya, Apr 8, 2016
  20. vinaya

MsLucy

I'm a bit ashamed to say how old my laptop is. It's super ancient. Lets just say, it took for ever just to get Windows 7, & all the features don't work. But, it does what I need it to do, & at least it was one the first computers to come with a wifi card.

MsLucy, Apr 19, 2016
Ask a Question