How Not to Upgrade Ram

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by scottbot84, Nov 20, 2008.

1. scottbot84

scottbot84

Hi All,

First post but I had to confess to the utterly stupid way I upgraded my ram. I managed to strip one of the main screws on the motherboard, so I ended up bending the board up slightly to access the slot. I don't know why asus didn't make it more accessible, but anyway it worked and I have had no problems.

I used the screwdriver sizes specified in the tutorials, but still had problems w/ one or two screws.

Again don't try this at home kids, I'm still amazed it worked.

scottbot84, Nov 20, 2008
  2. scottbot84

Gul Westfale

asus?

Gul Westfale, Nov 21, 2008
  3. scottbot84

scottbot84

Acer sorry easy to mix up the two in my head (at least by name, I love my one!!)

scottbot84, Nov 22, 2008
  4. scottbot84

judeh101

I don't like either company, ASUS has been not nice to me, and Acer is the same, but way worst.
    ASUS is a lot better company though.

judeh101, Nov 22, 2008
  5. scottbot84

Tamrac

sometimes it depends on what brand of screwdriver you are using.... cheap ones are not that accurate in terms of it's shape, hence the occasional stripped screws.

Tamrac, Nov 22, 2008
  6. scottbot84

potzon

Today I added RAM. I used a very nice screwdriver but still I had problems. The guys assembling the One are crazy.
    Screws were immensely tightened and in addition glued. So be careful when unscrewing, use the best tool possible.

potzon, Nov 22, 2008
  7. scottbot84

JimK

I followed the advice of the tutorials and used the precision screwdrivers to install my RAM. But when I had trouble with that one tight screw, I used my larger screwdriver and it loosened right up. I guess the big handle give you more torque, or something.

JimK, Nov 22, 2008
  8. scottbot84

flamingswrd

Correct. A bigger handle will give you more torque on the screw...although its as much as solution as problem (too much and you'll begin breaking things and/or stripping screws).

flamingswrd, Nov 24, 2008
  9. scottbot84

scottbot84

Glad I could prove a point :D

My One still works great, so I was lucky there. I don't have any other plans to go in there, unless I need to update the wireless card.

scottbot84, Nov 26, 2008
Ask a Question