How much shared video memory?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jdh1947, Jun 28, 2009.

1. jdh1947

jdh1947

A recent laptop mag review of the AO751h states it has "384 mb of shared video memory":

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptop/ ... o751h.aspx

My BIOS indicates 8 mb, and I don't see any option to increase it (even after flashing BIOS v. 3206, released 06.26.09).

While 384 mb video RAM would be a lot with only 1 gb RAM installed, more video RAM would be viable with 2gb (which I have installed). I'm running dual boot Win XP and Win 7 RC; sometimes even the desktop image is slow to refresh in Win 7. Would more video RAM help? Is it possible to increase it to more than 8 mb? Am I missing something really obvious?

I searched for posts on this topic, but didn't find any...

I would appreciate any clarification on this topic.

jdh1947, Jun 28, 2009
  2. jdh1947

arnoldmau

If you want to see how much memory your OS is allocating to your GMA500, Run DXDIAG.

I dualboot mine too (xp/vista HP lite) and shows @ XP: 8mb (?!) and @ vista : 700+mb of video memory.

As for changing the "default" 8mb in the BIOS; I've heard that it's either you can change it on the BIOS or not. Looks like we can't. And probably never.

BTW: laggy video (especially flash video) on an XP-configed 751h is XP's shortcoming. Intel has released a new driver that gives "significant" performance boost, but its exclusive to Vista and 7. Just in case you don't know. :D

arnoldmau, Jun 28, 2009
  3. jdh1947

jdh1947

Thanks for the response. Since posting, I checked the Intel Ultra Mobile GMA driver control panel info report, which shows the following:

"Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for ultra mobile Report

Report Date: 06/28/2009
    Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 10:24:58
    Driver Version: 7.14.10.1095
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate* , (6.1.7100)
    Default Language: English
    DirectX* Version: 10.0
    Physical Memory: 2038 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory: 64 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory: 763 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use: 108 MB
    Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2
    Processor Speed: 1240 MHZ
    Vendor ID: 8086
    Device ID: 8108
    Device Revision: 07

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 500
    Video BIOS: 0016
    Current Graphics Mode: 1366 by 768 True Color (60 Hz)"

Also checked DXDIAG.EXE, which confirms the max. 763 mb number; so, from above it appears Win 7 is currently using 108 mb in my system.

I also then think the laptop mag reference to 384 mb was just whatever Vista displayed during their test, and is not inherently set by BIOS design, which is what I first thought they meant.

As for the GMA 500 driver, I previously installed the recently released (by Intel) v. 7.14.10.1005, but got random BSOD crashes in Win 7, so I went back to the driver from Aspire, as shown from above report excerpt.

I don't play much flash video, so I'm not concerned about that performance in either OS, and Win XP graphics performance will always be limited, but I am interested in OS visual effects in Win 7. So, I guess I'll have to adjust them by trial and error until I get the best compromise of appearance and performance.

Any further discussion of this topic is welcome...

jdh1947, Jun 28, 2009
  4. jdh1947

Felix[GER]

Felix[GER], Jun 28, 2009
  5. jdh1947

runtohell121

i already installed the new driver from asus, it didn't make any difference, still can't play hd youtube videos or anything without lag.

runtohell121, Jun 28, 2009
  6. jdh1947

40rty

So, Where is this so called GMA booster everyone is talking about? I have tried to find it here and Google searches and I get dead ends. can anyone please help me? Thanks

Also does it drastically improve performance?

40rty, Jul 2, 2009
  7. jdh1947

DutchDK

Your google-fu is weak, young grasshopper. You must practice, it seems.
    Open a webbrowser, and go to http://www.google.com.
    In the searchfield you must first enter a G - that is not a g, but a G. After the G you must enter a M. Again, that is not a m, but a M. After the M, you must enter an A - and again, that is not an a, but an A.
    Now comes a difficult part so pay attention : You must now enter a b - Not a B but a b. Following this b, you have to enter not one, but two (2) o's - Not O's but o's - You do that by pressing the keyboard key between the i and the p on the third row of your keyboard exactly two consecutive times. After you have entered the 2 (two) o's you have to enter a single s - again not a S but a s.
    Still with me ? Hang in there little grasshopper, we are almost there.
    Now you have to enter a t, and an e and finally a r - again, note that it must not be a T, an E or a R. Finally you have to move your mousecursor so it points on the button marked "Search", and depress the left trackpad/mouse button ONE (1) and only ONE time.
    The allknowing GoogleBot will then find what you are looking for, and present it as the top first link for you to click on, and you'll be brought to the place where you can get the much sought after piece of software.

:cool:

DutchDK, Jul 2, 2009
  8. jdh1947

40rty

Did that the first time and when I clicked Download it brought me to a page by the creator with reviews and a letter sking for donations, other than that othing else happend and I click the review links and didn't find the file. I then clicked other links only to find either reviews or "This file is not avalable on our server", I tried countless times CHIEF. Nothing came up.

40rty, Jul 2, 2009
  9. jdh1947

DutchDK

Appearently you are *cough* pretty daft *cough* doing something wrong .
    I just downloaded both the Linux, and the Windows version by following my instructions to you, and following the instructions on the GMAbooster homepage (Click the download button, click the logo for the graphics chipset you have, click the icon for the OS you want to use it on, wait for the download to start from the filehost site).

And contrary to popular belief, users on the aspireoneuser.com forums aren't psychics with mindreading abilities. You didn't say you had been at the site and failed to download, you just said that you had done google searches and hadn't found any results.
    You really should read Eric S. Raymond's (an internet icon and oldtimer hacker) essay on "How to ask questions the right way" - It cuts down on the ridicule you'll receive, and on the toothpulling sessions for information, anybody interested in helping you have to go through, in order to get the required information on what you had done up till the point you asked for help.
    The link (since I allready know that your google-fu is weak) to ESR's essay is here : http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html - Go read it, you won't regret it. ;)

DutchDK, Jul 2, 2009
  10. jdh1947

40rty

While you are directed after choosing what IGP you have to choosing an OS, I have always after choosing the IGP been routed to the page I mentioned before. No prompt or redirect to a site to download. Look I'm sorry I have got you all butthurt asking one question. I searched many other sites using keywords like "GMABOOSTER DOWNLOAD" and everywhere either led me back to the GMA website or did not have the file to download. I'm guessing your that Ass- Hat on the forums that goes about getting butthurt ove a SIMPLE question. That what these sites are for right, to help each other out? **** you and this site, great example of this community you are. Also, you speak pretty well for having a dick in your mouth with the fancy vernacular used. Ban me please!!!!

40rty, Jul 3, 2009
  11. jdh1947

SiliconJunkie

GMABooster does not indicate that it supports the GMA 500 chipset.

GMABooster supports / will support the variety of mobile chipsets by Intel®
    Please click the logo of Your specific Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator to continue

GMA 900 (Intel 915 family) GMA 950 (Intel 945 family) GMA X3100 (Intel 965 family) GMA X4500 (Intel 4 family)

SiliconJunkie, Sep 20, 2009
  12. jdh1947

zaz999

I agree with the guy above, forums are for helping people solve problems not for nerds who want to feel superior to those who know less about the topic than they do. You need to help people who need it, not patronise them and put them down because they are asking a question even if it seems trivial to you.

zaz999, Nov 23, 2009
  13. jdh1947

AdamElphick

Well said - I have moved from an eeePC and the eeeuser forums are MUCH better than her with everyone helping each other out etc. It is much more vibrant over there and puts this forum to shame!

AdamElphick, Nov 23, 2009
Ask a Question