How much RAM?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Elektron, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Elektron

Elektron

I've been looking for some information about the replacement of RAM memories on my laptop, I do not really know how much memory I shall add it since I have always run it with 2 GB, is there any way I could upgrade to 8 GB without messing anything up? What's my limit regarding RAM memory?

Elektron, Aug 6, 2016
  2. Elektron

Fuzyon

It depends on the laptop, you can either check your laptop's manual or open it up to see if there are enough RAM holders on your motherboard to upgrade. 8GB is plenty nowadays, you can do whatever you want with it but in the future 16GB will slowly become the norm, so make sure to leave yourself room for future upgrades.

Fuzyon, Aug 6, 2016
    hades_leae likes this.
  3. Elektron

GearZ

If is me, I'd max it out depending on what the device and OS can handle. Memory is so cheap these days, why not. Put another way, time is expensive, RAM is not. ;)

GearZ, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Elektron

Elektron

Well, considering your advice, I currently have Windows 7 32 bits running on my laptop so I do not really know what my limit regarding memory size would be, some people say I can only upgrade up to 4 GB and some other people say I could definitely upgrade it to 8 GB with no problem, what should I do?

Elektron, Aug 7, 2016
  5. Elektron

Corzhens

I want to help but I have to admit that I am not that techie when it comes to hardware. But I know that computers have the limitation for the memory size. Perhaps the best move is for you to bring your laptop to the store where you will buy the additional memory, have it tested and verified before paying. But more likely, the present RAM in your computer will be replaced so it will be an excess.

Corzhens, Aug 7, 2016
  6. Elektron

Joel7050

8GB is a decent amount, 16GB is pretty much overkill at this point in time. You should check your motherboard, and also ensure you are running 64 bit windows, not 32 bit. A little advice is to buy 2x 4gb instead of a single 8gb, just in case (on the rare occasion) one of the sticks fails, you still have another stick still working.

Joel7050, Aug 12, 2016
  7. Elektron

Elektron

So can I actually upgrade to 8GB with my actual Operative System and general specs? I do not really want to bu ysomething I will not be able to use or that will not work correctly.

Elektron, Aug 12, 2016
  8. Elektron

hades_leae

I agree with that statement. 16gb will become the norm. But some people will end up getting something like thast and won't really need it.

I got a friend who barely uses her laptop, and I went to the store with her when she tries to buy a new laptop as Bestbuy with 1TB drive.

Not even knowing what she was going to do with that memory, I had to point her in the right direction because she was just losing money. This was a very nice Sony laptop with all kinds of colors in it like neons. It had to have been custom.

hades_leae, Aug 13, 2016
  9. Elektron

Elektron

Keep in mind not everybody will be able to do sso because not all the PC teants have enough money to buy expensive parts, however, it's kinda right what you're all saying, most people buy stuff and they do not even need them at all, 1 TB of memory is basically too much for a person who does not really need it, for real.

Elektron, Aug 15, 2016
  10. Elektron

acerme2

2 GB is really slow but whether or not you can upgrade it to 8GB or even 4GB will depend on what unit you have. My younger bro's laptop, for instance, is running at 2 gb and the unit model is Acer Aspire E-14. The salesclerk told my mom that the 2 gb is already the maximum RAM for that unit so there's no way we can upgrade it. That's possible, but then again, not all salesclerks are that knowledgeable. The best thing is to inquire from the technical people of the manufacturer just to be sure.

acerme2, Aug 15, 2016
  11. Elektron

sparkster

This really depends on the capacity of your laptop and how much RAM it can handle. There will be a maximum amount of RAM that your laptop is capable of taking and you also need to ensure that you buy the correct type of RAM. If it's been running 2GB of RAM as standard, it might only be upgradable to 4GB or 8GB. 8GB is plenty, you don't really need any more than that these days, but 4GB should still be plenty enough. I've just upgraded from a laptop with 2GB of RAM to a brand new laptop with 4GB of RAM.

sparkster, Aug 15, 2016
  12. Elektron

Elektron

I am aware of the ram expansion's limit, but how do I know whether I have to buy a DDR2 card or a DDR3 card, I do not really know the difference between both of them, could you tell me more about those?

Elektron, Aug 16, 2016
  13. Elektron

sachinkumar12

A lightweight system today can get by with 4GB of RAM. 8GB should be plenty for current and near-term future applications, 16GB gives you comfortable space for the future, and anything over 16GB is likely overkill unless you specifically know you need it (such as for video editing or audio post-production)

sachinkumar12, Feb 3, 2017
    Ian likes this.
Ask a Question