How much noise should the fan make? - Youtube video added!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Bought myself a 751 the other day, overall very pleased with it, was afraid that the overall speed of the system would be a problem for me, coming from Atom N270, Via Nano, AMD Athlon 64 powered netbooks, but wanted the long battery life, so pulled the trigger, so far no problems, got enough CPU/GPU power to what I have to use this for.

But the fan, even though it is rarely on when using battery, it is almost always on when on AC, it has a slight "metallic" noise, nothing to loud, but it is not just airflow noise coming from the fan, in normal environment, it is not noticeable, but in quite room, it does bother me some, more than my old HP Mini 2140 where the fan is always running, and is not the most quite (but only airflow noise).

Is this normal, kind of hard to explain the noise, and maybe noise it a strong word to use here, it is just above what I was expecting, which was just a very quite fan and only airflow noise?

EDIT: See/hear what I mean with this video trying to illustrate the noise:

Guest, Oct 9, 2009
  2. Guest

cmeide

Re: How much noise should the fan make?

Reading your description, I can recognise the same coming from mine. Holding it close to the ear, I can hear the airflow and the "other noise". Further away, the airflow becomes less and less noticeable but the other noise stays the same level even if I go a few meters away from the machine. As it has never really bothered me, I have never tried listening for this on other 751's so I cant tell you if its normal or not.

cmeide, Oct 9, 2009
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: How much noise should the fan make?

Sounds like it is the same as mine, don't think I will do anything about it, tried to contact Acer, but just got a standard reply that I should send it in for repairs. Just going to live with it, and getting use to the noise...

Guest, Oct 9, 2009
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

I have made a YouTube video, trying to illustrate the "noise", since it is kind of hard to explain it is easier with a little motion picture with sound :).

See the video here:

Please comment...

Guest, Oct 10, 2009
  5. Guest

mzmini

The only time I can hear mine running is when I put my ear up to it. After watching/listening to your video I would send it in and get a new fan.

mzmini, Oct 10, 2009
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Just got the 751 the other day, so a little early for repairs IMO (bad start), was just thinking of getting a new one from the store where I got it, but am afraid that I will get one with other problems, so either live with the noise, or get a new one and risk of getting one that freezes or maybe also makes noise and freezes.

It is not a deal breaker, and the fan is almost never on when using battery, so for now I will live with it, just wondering if this is normal?

Guest, Oct 11, 2009
  7. Guest

Bols

Bols, Oct 12, 2009
Ask a Question