how many times did you dismantle your AAO

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by torrentlord, Aug 23, 2008.

1. torrentlord

goofball

probably around 4-5 times so far.
    Got at least one more time, to change the HDD to 7200rpm Seagate and change the wireless card to 3945 Intel. Also change the bilingual keyboard to the US one at that time too.

goofball, Oct 2, 2008
  2. torrentlord

Sneekypete

About 4 times. I took it apart the first night i had it. and soldered in my 3g card. :ugeek: Ive never raped a lappy like this before....Its kinda fun.

Lots more to come ill keep ya'll posted...

Sneekypete, Nov 18, 2008
  3. torrentlord

Ubik

Twice. Once to swap in a 320GB drive to replace the 120GB one, and once to upgrade the RAM. I don't forsee tearing it down again unless something goes hideously wrong, but I did save the original drive (with original data intact) and put it somewhere safe just in case.

The first time was kind of harrowing, but the second time was really no problem at all. I didn't even consult a guide the second time around.

Ubik, Dec 17, 2008
  4. torrentlord

Byte_wize

About 20 times.
    Mostly for upgrades and fixes.

Byte_wize, Jan 1, 2009
  5. torrentlord

tekno

2 times for me my AAO got the black screen of death came on and i dismantled it to get to the cmos battery. Reassembled it partially, turn it on again screen of death. dismantled the AAO again to see if it was the ram or the monitor ribbon. Reassembled it partially turned it on still the screen of death. I then just reassembled the whole thing and was going to take it back to staples for warranty work and then someone told me to reflash the bios. I did and it was back to normal. I will be taking it apart again to do some upgrades and maybe some mods.....maybe i should wait till after the warranty period then perform some mods lol.

tekno, Jan 4, 2009
  6. torrentlord

karu11

like maybe 5 times basically for upgrades.

karu11, Jan 4, 2009
  7. torrentlord

Elceb

About 6-7time for me, and i spend less than 3min 30seconds to dismantle all compoments :D .
    I was for upgrade my SSD but i have some pb with the new HDD, it was the reason for the other opennig.
    After more than 10 disamntle have you lose the two rubber pad?

Elceb, Jan 20, 2009
  8. torrentlord

notatoad

4 times for me so far, but i'm going to have to take it apart again to fix my keyboard hold-down tabs soon enough.

notatoad, Feb 18, 2009
  9. torrentlord

Guest Guest

3 times. 1st time was just to have a look at the inside, 2nd was to install 1gb of ram + soldered on a sata connector + added 320GB HDD, 3rd time was to fix a problem I had with my HDD mod.

Guest, Feb 18, 2009
  10. torrentlord

simbeb

3 times. And no intention of opening it ever again unless a comprehensive an illustrated guide turns up on the web to tell me how to turn a USB stick into an additional internal drive.

I opened it once to check how risky it would be to upgrade the RAM, once to upgrade the RAM and once to re-insert the RAM module, which I hadn't done properly...

simbeb, Feb 18, 2009
  11. torrentlord

GvidoR

6 Times... :D

1 - Upgrade the RAM (1GB to 1.5GB)
    2 - Put keyboad back properly
    3 - Fix the plastic top
    4 - Change the HDD from 5400RPM to 7200RPM
    5 - Just for fun
    6 - Thermal Paste mod

GvidoR, Feb 20, 2009
  12. torrentlord

facelessone

For now:
    1. Upgrade ram from 1 to 1.5gb
    2. To fix the plastics holding the keyboard

Future:
    3. to put in dell 1390 wlan card
    4. maybe to put 7200rpm disc

facelessone, Feb 20, 2009
  13. torrentlord

facelessone

For now:
    1. Upgrade ram from 1 to 1.5gb
    2. To fix the plastics holding the keyboard

Future:
    3. to put in dell 1390 wlan card
    4. maybe to put 7200rpm disc

facelessone, Feb 20, 2009
  14. torrentlord

Jaece

1. Upgrade RAM and 7200 HDD.
    2. Remove DoA HDD and replace original drive. Decide to keep original drive instead of exchanging DoA HDD (120GB is enough for me, even if it's a little slower).
    3. Fix mainboard seating (wasn't underneath both tabs just below the left hinge; was causing slight board flexing :oops: ).
    4. Installed just the screen for the touch screen mod. Breakage: the two tabs on the bottom of the LCD cover preventing complete sealing of the bezel with the cover.
    5. Prep for touch screen mod soldering. Breakage: "Backspace" key tabs stripped so it is not reliably connected to the rest of the keyboard. Still works, but I'm sure the key would be lost sometime.
    5a. Open screen and change which hinge the TS wires come out (left to right).
    5b. Open screen and change which hinge the TS wires come out (back to left, but this time the ribbon going underneath the LCD to the side which I didn't do before).

Currently here. My father's coworker is going to do the soldering required for the TS mod.

Future:
    6. Install Intel 5300 WiFi card + 3rd antenna.
    7. Replace keyboard. Replace LCD cover. Replace lower cover (botched solder attempt, iron touched the side and melted it :oops: ). Replace M/B->Daughter/B connector (sheathing burned through in same botched solder attempt, I am not confident in the condition of the wires inside).

So yeah. Moral: I need to be more careful. ;)

Jaece, Feb 24, 2009
  15. torrentlord

edokassiah

LOL FLABBERGASTED

edokassiah, Feb 15, 2010
  16. torrentlord

RockDoctor

Zero, in 18 months. I think that's a new record for me. Now, had the question been, "how many different operating system installs have you done?" my answer would have been, "at least 15"

RockDoctor, Feb 18, 2010
  17. torrentlord

Rob T Firefly

I've taken my ZG5 completely apart around half a dozen times so far. When I get around to picking up the RAM upgrade or a larger ZIF drive, I'll have an excuse to go back in. :mrgreen:

Rob T Firefly, Feb 20, 2010
Ask a Question