How long should it take for the battery to charge?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by EAB, Dec 30, 2008.

1. EAB

EAB

Received an Aspire One for xmas, it has the 3 cell battery. Didn't notice any unusually long charging times the first couple days, but was busy with the holiday. However these past couple days I have noticed that it is taking between 4-6 hours to fully charge. Tonite I fully discharged it down to zero and it has been charging 1 1/2 hours and am now at only 41%. This doesn't seem right?

EAB, Dec 30, 2008
  2. EAB

nmesisca

I assume you're using the laptop WHILE charging, which takes considerably more time compared to charging while the laptop is switched off. I have never done the former, but the latter takes about 1.5 hours.

nmesisca, Dec 30, 2008
  3. EAB

dattaway

Its simple:

Our chargers put out 30 watts at most.
    Our laptop averages about 15 watts.
    Our battery is 45 watt hours.

That means under normal 15 watts, 15 watts is left to charge the battery. That divides into about 3 hours to charge. If we were using 20 watts, that would only leave 10 watts to charge the battery, or about 5 hours.

My eeepc can actually use more power than the charger can put out! That means fully loaded up USB devices and a movie can shut it down in a few hours.

dattaway, Dec 30, 2008
  4. EAB

EAB

Does anyone else have any information regarding this? I have tried charging with the aspire off and after 2 hours am only at 51%. This doesn't seem right.

EAB, Jan 2, 2009
  5. EAB

EAB

Hello
    I am sill having trouble with this. To fully charge the battery, with the Acer turned off and not in use, takes 3 hours and 55 minutes. Am I correct in thinking that it should not take this long? Can anyone else give me an idea of how long it typically takes their Acer to charge? I just need to know so that I can return it and exchange it if mine is a lemon. Thanks!

EAB, Jan 7, 2009
  6. EAB

dattaway

There is also protection circuitry inside the battery module. They will not allow individual cells to exceed a certain voltage, perhaps 4.2 volts. The current through the cells may be metered too. The last part of the charge may taper off slowly and take the longest.

dattaway, Jan 7, 2009
  7. EAB

info

I've never taken my battery all the way down so I don't really know how long it takes. What I have noticed is that it does not charge really fast at all. I wouldn't be surprised if mine took the same amount of time. I'll post again when I get a chance to really observe exactly what it does.

info, Jan 7, 2009
  8. EAB

info

I was fooling around with some java applets yesterday and woke up today to find my battery drained completely. It's been about 2 hours since I started using the AAO and I'm 43% charged.

info, Jan 7, 2009
Ask a Question