How long do you expect a new laptop to last?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Corzhens, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

The standard in our office is 5 years for the longevity of a computer - that would include not only the durability of the hardware but also the compatibility with the upgrades of software. But for personal use, I have to admit that we are looking at 7 years or even longer. We bought our home desktop in September 2009 so it is going to be 7 years old soon that's why we have plans of buying a new laptop for a replacement because the new software wouldn't install in the 32-bit desktop of ours.

Corzhens, Aug 15, 2016
  2. Corzhens

Elektron

A new laptop could always last as much as you want it to last as long as you give it the proper care it really requires, you could have a laptop and use it a lot and not care about the maintenance of the device itself, if you do that you must keep in mind it's going to have problems soon and it's going to be bad, unlike if you use it moderately and you give it a proper maintenance, everything should be okay and without problems, that's my opinion though.

Elektron, Aug 15, 2016
  3. Corzhens

IcyBC

My first laptop lasted me 7 years, and this is what I would like it to be with the new one. My second laptop lasted me 2 years and started to give me so much trouble. I did all the maintenance and such but to no vail. I believe with the new ones, they don't want to make it last that long for normal consumers because they want to make money selling new ones!

IcyBC, Aug 15, 2016
  4. Corzhens

sparkster

Most of the computers I have bought throughout my lifetime so far, including desktop PC's and laptops, have usually been used and every single one of them has lasted me at least five years. I would therefore expect a brand new laptop to last at least about seven years, as you stated, especially if it is for personal use (although I mainly use computers for work). I have just bought a new laptop and I do indeed expect it to last for at least seven years. It has high enough specifications to last that long and not be outdated and I have bought insurance for it which goes on for an indefinite period of time, as long as I continue to pay. So, if I'm still using the laptop in seven years time, I'll still be paying the insurance. If it breaks or gets stolen or anything else happens to it, I'm covered.

sparkster, Aug 15, 2016
  5. Corzhens

vinaya

I used my last laptop for 8 years. Therefore, I can say a new laptop can last upto 8 years. However, a friend of mine says he is using his laptop since 10 years.
    If you replace battery, cooling fan and other parts that has worn out, your laptop can last for many years. However, the only problem you will encounter in using old laptop is compatibility issues with the new programs that you want to install.

vinaya, Aug 15, 2016
  6. Corzhens

hades_leae

5 to 7 years, wow, I can tell you personally that I definitely won't want to keep one that long. I don't care if it was built to last that long. I just want something new after that amount of time. Many smart phones can continue to work fine for many years after release, but most people are switching every year.

I expect my computers to last a minimum of 3 years, and if I'm not really looking for anything new then I'll continue to hold on to them, I just have this thing where I want to keep fresh hardware after so many year I want to upgrade even though I don't have to.

hades_leae, Aug 16, 2016
  7. Corzhens

Fuzyon

I expect a $1000 laptop to keep me going for 5 years at least and I think that's reasonable. At that price you can purchase something that's nearly top-of-the-line so you shouldn't have any problems hardware-wise, but I would keep in mindd that your keyboard, screen or battery can malfunction so sometimes a repair is in order.

Fuzyon, Aug 18, 2016
  8. Corzhens

acerme2

I expect my laptop to last for 4 years at least and if does last more than that, I would prefer to buy a new one with higher specs. I would want to upgrade my skill levels in programming and CAD and this laptop, though it has high definition graphics, simply won't do. I will still prefer to keep it though, as back up and as a means to multitask and earn more online income.

acerme2, Aug 18, 2016
  9. Corzhens

Corzhens

Well, based on the comments of 4 years and 5 years, at least our idea of the laptop's life span is not far out although I have to agree that 7 years is quite wishful thinking. Maybe I can settle for 5 years but not for a $1,000 computer, whew, that's exorbitant here and our budget will not hold on.

Corzhens, Aug 18, 2016
  10. Corzhens

rz3300

Well that is the hope, and I certainly expect something that costs that much to last me. I think it just emphasizes the important of doing your research, and in this case, for me, it means reading a lot of reviews. I like to see if other users have had issues with their machines, and if there are a lot, I will think twice about buying one. It is a difficult decision to make, but an important one, so thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Aug 18, 2016
  11. Corzhens

djordjem87

Five years is optimal actually. You can use it even more depending how needy you are or your work but as we all witness the hyper growth of technology and especially in computing sector it is probably not advisable to use a laptop more than 5 years and maybe not even that long. This also a strategic move of course because if a company starts to make models than can be used for decades ( if that is even possible) that would ruin that company in broad picture because the need for new laptops would be minimal.

djordjem87, Aug 29, 2016
  12. Corzhens

abonnen

I have laptops that last a long time but recently mine hasn't past 3 years. I do use my laptop several hours a day though, I also have been buying a little cheaper versions since the last laptop that I got that was expensive didn't last very long at all.

abonnen, Aug 30, 2016
  13. Corzhens

Aree Wongwanlee

How long do I expect my new laptop to last? This is my second one. The first one lasted something like five years. If this one lasts three years, I would be happy. Actually, I don't mind if it lasted only one year. Then I will have an excuse to buy a new one. Perhaps this can become a new marketing strategy. Produce laptops, for a lower price, which lasts only a bit more than a year. Then sell the consumer a new one, or give him a good discount for trading in the old one, if the one year warranty has not expired yet. It's quite uncomfortable to see new and better models come out but still have to use the old one because it's still working very well.

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 30, 2016
  14. Corzhens

Fuzyon

I researched the best laptop for $1k for 6 months before buying one, I went to the stores to try some out and ultimately it came down to the brand and weight. I chose to go with Acer despite Lenovo having a really good option for gaming, but the former brand seemed more appealing to me. I went with the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro if you are wondering.

Fuzyon, Sep 1, 2016
  15. Corzhens

fcuco

"Last" as in "continue to work" I would say that 10+ years, the battery will be dead by then though. As for "last" in the sense of not being terrible obsolete, able to run the latests operating system and programs reasonably well, I would say about 5 years, maybe pushing it to 7 years but 5 is a nice round number to change laptops .

fcuco, Sep 2, 2016
Ask a Question