How is this laptop the Lenovo Thinkpad 2016

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by pectin232, Jun 26, 2016.

1. pectin232

pectin232

THINKPAD YOGA 14 - 20FY0002US

This one --- Lenovo - ThinkPad Yoga 2-in-1 14" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive - Black. $899

or

Lenovo Ideapad Y700 Laptop | Intel Core i7 | 1080p | 4GB Graphics
    Features:

4GB AMD Radeon R9 M375 Graphics, Backlit Keyboard, HDMI, 2W JBL® Speakers with Dolby® Audio Premium Processing
    $799.

Thought of geting this for a going to college kid. Suggestions? why the 799 one is cheaper with a i7 while other one is a i5 only. Probably the i7 is more powerful but it is maybe 1 generation before. If so even at 1 gen behind being an i7 is it still more powerful than the new 6th generation i5?

pectin232, Jun 26, 2016
  2. pectin232

Vash

Core i7 won't be much different from Core i5 unless you play video games a lot. I guess it is probably one of your purpose for the new laptop since you wanted the dedicated graphics card.
    If you are not a gamer, then the difference is minimal. Core i5 is more than enough.

Overall it is a good laptop. Capable of doing anything college related.

Vash, Jun 26, 2016
  3. pectin232

IBMPC8088

For that price, you might as well go for the Thinkpad Edge with an A6-7000 cpu instead of an Intel core i5. You'll get the same performance or better and can get between 8GB to 16GB and a 256 to 512GB SSD drive on it for nearly half the price. The Lenovo Ideapad Yoga series is good, but unless you need to have 4GB of dedicated video ram for games, you can get excellent performance still out of the fast integrated AMD video and allocate 4GB of ram to it instead.

I was able to pick up that model recently and been using it for about a month and a half, and I like just about everything about it so far. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have an integrated optical drive, but most people are going to be just fine with that unless they use DVDs and CDs a lot. I was able to get this system and have it shipped to me for the total price of $385 flat in the US. Unless you need the form factor of the ideapad more than a laptop and need the touchscreen stuff, you can get more power at a better price by going with the Edge E455 model instead.

The only other thing I don't like is that it has a weird power connector that looks like a usb port and cable, which means that if you ever lose the power cable or it gets messed up (dog or cat eating it, etc), then you're either going to have to get a universal laptop charger that supports it, or a newer replacement charger. Some of the older laptop chargers don't have this connector yet, but there are some who do. If you're getting it factory spec new, then remove the bloatware and keep Windows 7 unless you plan to use linux or another OS. Windows 10 runs on it, but as you already know from my other posts, I wouldn't bother with that at all. But other than that which is trivial, it's a really great system both as a developer and for the everyday user going to school or work with it. Really light weight, about 4 lbs, but still durable enough for daily use without any worry.

It runs virtual machines really nicely, but the video can lag a little on linux machines unless you're running linux as a host. I've tested both windows and linux with it, and it runs virtual systems better in linux than on Windows, but Windows still does well as long as you give your video display and allocated ram plenty to work with. if you're not using virtual machines, it's still blazingly fast and you'll like the speed of it. It's zippy for an ultrabook and has some of the better specs I've seen for an affordable laptop all around.

IBMPC8088, Jun 28, 2016
  4. pectin232

vinaya

I will never buy this laptop because it is too costly for me. If I add few hundred dollars on $799, I can get a Mac, why would I pay such a huge money for a Chinese brand. Lenovo is a chinese brand. It is a good and trusted brand. It has made some really good laptops, however, I know know much about Lenovo thunk pad.

vinaya, Jun 28, 2016
Ask a Question