How install linux into AAO that come with XP?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Akai, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Akai

Akai

I don't like to use window..but the 160g AAO only come with windows xp
    trying to finger out how to install linux and duel boot with xp
    any help would be great
    thanks

Akai, Sep 27, 2008
  2. Akai

scottro

Unless you have an external CD drive, you'll have to use a USB stick. The easiest way, at least for Ubuntu and Fedora, is to download the live iso. There's a detailed tutorial at Ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

Although it's talking about replacing Linpus with Ubuntu, you can use that tutorial to see the procedure for preparing the USB stick and doing the installation. After that, do a quick google for dual booting Ubuntu and WIndows--there's probably a great many tutorials on that around Ubuntu's forums, and modify the installation from USB to go with the instructions for a dual boot. In a nutshell, I believe the procedure for dual boot would be (don't take this as definitive--I don't dual boot with Windows, I tend to wipe Windows off a laptop and replace it with Linux, leaving myself space for more than one distribution)
    something like
    First run scandisk and defrag on Windows. When installing Linux, it will have a program that can actually shrink the Windows partition, but there is a risk you will lose your data. I don't know how reliable it is these days, but hear that it's pretty good.
    From there, install Ubuntu on the newly free space and let Ubuntu install grub in the MBR. Grub will see the Windows installation and allow you to dual boot.

scottro, Sep 27, 2008
  3. Akai

dragonmg

dragonmg, Sep 28, 2008
  4. Akai

Akai

thanks scottro and dragonmg!
    WUBI works great!

Akai, Sep 29, 2008
  5. Akai

MattyVigilante

Hey folks,
    Is there anyway to install the "Hardy Heron" version of ubuntu via wubi?
    when i followed your provided link the install and everything worked fine and I really enjoyed using ubuntu for the first time. However when i did install ubuntu, by default it installed version 8.10, (Intrepid Ibex) And i spent well over 10 hours tring to get the wireless to work and I tried everything... Everything i tried did nothing at all and I was really dissapointed.
    I have been told that the older versions of ubuntu the wifi worked fine for the AAO. So im willing to give it a try.
    Can anyone assist?

MattyVigilante, Nov 12, 2008
  6. Akai

niem102

I also used WUBI and installed 8.10 and can't get the wireless to work. But I have heard it is something with the driver for it and switching to use ath5k instead. Does anyone know exactly how to go about doing this? I'm a bit of a Linux n00b.

niem102, Nov 27, 2008
  7. Akai

pxharder

pxharder, Dec 25, 2008
  8. Akai

mwalla

I just got an AAO with XP installed, and I'm in the process of downloading Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but I'm also curious about the Linpus Lite that the linux version of the AAO ships with. Does anyone know where to find a copy of the AAO linpus lite distribution? Is there an image available for download?

Thanks.

mwalla, Dec 27, 2008
  9. Akai

toymom

I have the AAO with linpus and would happily trade it for a windows version......

toymom, Dec 29, 2008
  10. Akai

matt_maarl

I also have an xp AAO because of the 160HD.

However, unlike Akai who wants to double-boot with xp, I would like to REMOVE xp altogether and REPLACE it with a linux distro.

My Q:
    How to remove xp altogether before installing a linux distro?
    (and without compromising compatibility issues once a linux distro is installed)

thanks,
    matt

matt_maarl, Dec 30, 2008
  11. Akai

exwannabe

Follow the link in the first reply on this thread. In the installation process it will format the entire drive by default if you let it.

exwannabe, Dec 31, 2008
  12. Akai

farslayer

Ask a Question