How hot does your Aspire one run at?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by MustangSVT, Sep 7, 2008.

1. MustangSVT

MustangSVT

I have been pretty happy with my apire one with win xp . it is very light yet performs well.

but even when I have it raised on a flat hard surface of a desk, it runs around temperature of 66*C .

And once in awhile the wifi completely goes out and I have to have to the machine off for awhile and turn it back on.

and battery life is a bit short.

But everything else seems very good :) especially at $279.

MustangSVT, Sep 7, 2008
  2. MustangSVT

judeh101

mine usually idles at a hot 72C and a full load of 89C.

judeh101, Sep 7, 2008
  3. MustangSVT

Tavel

Mine barely gets warm to the touch

Tavel, Sep 7, 2008
  4. MustangSVT

goofball

depends but average is around 55-60, and load around 75 max.

goofball, Sep 7, 2008
  5. MustangSVT

dinkydarko

what temps u guys setting your acerfand.conf settings to? if ur using linux that is..

dinkydarko, Sep 7, 2008
  6. MustangSVT

philippeC

I use:
    FANOFF=60
    FANAUTO=70

That's the only set of values that works for me, otherwise the fan is never activated. Now, it starts when I read a video, and stops a few seconds after the video is over.

philippeC, Sep 7, 2008
  7. MustangSVT

elocanth

I have the WinXP model with a 120GB HD. I run at 50C idle, and I've gotten it up to 72C while playing Deus Ex. Games are the only thing that'll make mine run that hot. Oddly enough, the AAOne fan control software doesn't kick the fan on when it should, at least on my model. I leave it up to the standard software to kick in for cooling.

Judeh101, 89C is insane... that's in the realm of proc meltdown there. I'd reccomend slapping some thermal paste on it yourself, or sending it back in for warranty work to get that fixed.

elocanth, Sep 7, 2008
  8. MustangSVT

ipearl

70 ish 75ish with programs running

ipearl, Sep 7, 2008
  9. MustangSVT

Kraegor

89c?

Thats like ultra hot dude thats like 200F. Solder on the boards has a melting point of 90 to 450 °C (200 to 840 °F). You better hope they don't use cheapy solder on the Acer Ones or your motherboard will start falling apart.

Kraegor, Sep 7, 2008
  10. MustangSVT

ipearl

SMT SMD etc start falling off lol :mrgreen:

ipearl, Sep 7, 2008
  11. MustangSVT

kentris

Between 59c and 65c but usually the fan kicks in around then.

kentris, Sep 7, 2008
  12. MustangSVT

judeh101

My heatsink has a good contact with the cpu, because really hot air is blowing outta the vent.
    89C using everest, but other program like speedfan measures 56C?
    its all weird, but the air coming outta aao is insanely hot for some reason, fan not good enough?
    leaving on desk peaks at a hot 85C and on bed it is 89C, no difference.

judeh101, Sep 8, 2008
  13. MustangSVT

pharoah

these are 45 nano chips alot of people when the 45nano quads came out.thought theirs was running abnormally hot.what you need to use to get an accurate temp reading is realtemp.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

pharoah, Sep 8, 2008
  14. MustangSVT

judeh101

after using Real Temp 2.70 and the maximum temperature was 52 C so it seems like, everest was bad...

judeh101, Sep 9, 2008
  15. MustangSVT

pitone671

There are quite a few programs that will tell you the temperature of the Atom but it seems that not all of them are right. You can easily check if a program is displaying the correct temperature. Just turn off you AA1 wait an hour or so (to make sure it is at room temperature), turn it on and during the first few minutes after startup, you should get a reading close to room temperature. The CPU does not stay at room temp. for long but it is near it at startup. I have tried programs like coretemp that would give me temperatures of 60 deg celcius just after a cold boot ! I know those things do generate heat but not that fast !

The Atom is built to operate below 90 deg celcius and from the experience I have with 4 different units, the Atom in the AA1 stays below 65 deg celcius even after hours of intensive calculations. The problem with the AA1 is that the automatic temp control keeps the fan running almost always at high speed even when the CPU is at 40 deg C which is within norm for the Atom.

I use coretemp for measuring the temperature of the Atom but I input a correction factor of -35 deg C in the settings panel of coretemp. This is because the coretemp programmer(s) misinterpreted the Atom datasheet and mixed up TJMAX (90 deg C, maximum operating temperature) and 125 deg C, the temperature at witch the CPU should be turned off so it does not destroy itself. So, coretemp, by default, displays a temp that is +35 deg C over what it should be. Some other apps are using 105 deg C for TJMAX which is the value for core family of processors but does not apply to the Atom

Sorry for the long post, but there is so much conflicting info about the Atom, I tought this was needed. Check the Atom datasheet and compare it with the Intel Core family datasheet and you will see :)

pitone671, Sep 9, 2008
Ask a Question