How frequent do you archive your files?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Corzhens, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

In the office, we are required to archive (or temporary backup) at the end of the day. But for our home desktop, there is no frequency and we only archive whenever we remember. That exposes the files to the risk of being lost because when the hard drive gives up, the files cannot be recovered anymore. Do you have the volition to archive your new files at the end of the day or you are also a procrastinator like us?

Corzhens, Aug 13, 2016
  2. Corzhens

fcuco

After each important milestone like completing an important document or piece of code, so it is not regular but dictated by the work itself, I upload my work to a NAS, to a cloud Service and to a local USB hard drive.

By the way, if they are counting on you at your office to remember and perform the backup they are doing something very wrong, there are literally thousands of solutions that would do this type of backups for you automatically, periodically and in a more ordered fashion (like only doing incremental backups of things that actually changed).

fcuco, Aug 13, 2016
  3. Corzhens

Elektron

Well, I basically do that every single time I finish or make a document, it does not matter whether if I have finished it or not, I always look forward to the CTRL+G because you never know when your PC is going to fail or the power is going to go off, it is such an important thing to keep in mind, especially if you work in an office and stuff of that nature, that's my opinion though.

Elektron, Aug 15, 2016
Ask a Question