How does the Storage Expansion slot work?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by rabato, Feb 12, 2009.

1. rabato

rabato

I have a 16Gb SDHC card inserted in the left slot of my AAO SSD. "My Disk" shows 15.8Gb free of 21.4Gb.
    Now, the folders "Documents" "Vi deo" "Pictures" etc seem duplicated in the SD card. If I drag and drop files to the "Documents" shortcut in the left side of the window, these files are sometimes shown both in the SSD drive and the SD card. Sometines not, only on the SSD drive.
    Many times I try to locate files (through gFTP for example) and they just don't show. I check on the file browser and they are there.
    I make sure I am searching in the SSD path or the SD path but no luck.
    I was even trying to install fonts with Fonty Python and I just cannot locate the fonts, nor even the folder where they are.
    What's going on?
    I apologize as I suspect this is something very simple but could not find a topic about it in the forum.
    Thanks

rabato, Feb 12, 2009
  2. rabato

solpuerto

Hi rabato

Have a look at my post on the last page of the following thread it may help explain what the data file structure is and particularly when you mount an SD card in the left hand slot, though even mounting one in the right slot is relatively similar.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4931&p=65095#p65095

If you want a more technical explanation of what is happening google "macles" and within his blog there is an explanation of what something called "aufs" does with the data. I followed his recommendation and set them up to post most of the data to the SD card leaving the SSD for programs.

Hope it makes it a bit clearer and should explain why it can initially be difficult to find files.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Feb 12, 2009
  3. rabato

rabato

Aha! Nice articles Solpuerto.

Wouldn't it be more interesting to then use the Right slot instead of the Left if all I want to do is keep the SSD clear for system files and use the SD for large file storage?

I've been actually subscribed to Macles ever since I got the AAO :oops:

rabato, Feb 13, 2009
  4. rabato

solpuerto

Hi rabato

Thanks for the comments.

It probably makes little difference whether you use left or right for SD and is more about personal choice. I prefer to know that I can see all my data files in one place i.e. under the initial /home directory, but as long as you are consistent I don't think it matters. I suppose one other point to bare in mind, the LH slot is flush and the RH one is not but again it may not matter to you.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Feb 13, 2009
Ask a Question