How does storage expansion work in Acer One?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jccguays, Aug 15, 2008.

1. jccguays

macles

You can find an explanation here. Firefox and the file manager use /mnt/home while others use /home/user, causing some confusion.

macles, Sep 13, 2008
  2. jccguays

hiker_jon

Hi,
    Thanks for the nice explanation. I have found that using /mnt/home in xfce4 panel and desktop menus can be problematic. I think maybe the menu applications may check that the files referenced in the menus exist BEFORE the merged filesystem is setup. So I have reverted to using either /home/user or /media/disk. This is a pain.
    Jon

hiker_jon, Sep 14, 2008
  3. jccguays

hiker_jon

Very strange:
    I found the terminal behavior wrt my home directory to be irritating: when I would do a cd it would go to /home/user instead of going into /mnt/home. So I put the following lines in my .bashrc:
    export HOME=/mnt/home
    cd

This worked great until I rebooted. Then everything was screwed up. Desktop reverted to default, shutdown was not working. Seems clear that the xfce4 desktop starts up BEFORE /mnt/home is setup.

I think aufs has some problems on the aspire one.

Jon

hiker_jon, Sep 17, 2008
  4. jccguays

jcm

I've got an 8 GB SDHC card fitted in the left hand slot. I originally left it using the pre-formatted FAT32 file system, but read that there might be some trouble down the line reading and writing files to it with the Linux Linpus O.S., etc, so I partitioned and formatted the SDHC card in the Console, using the Linux ext3 file system (and that wasn't straightforward, being a Linux dumbkopf, but I got there in the end.) However, I found I couldn't shut the AAO down, as it hanged every time. Taking the SDHC card out, I found that it would shut down, and concluded that formatting the card to the ext3 file system was the problem. Doing some poking around, I discovered that the 8GB SSD drive inside my machine with the O.S. on it (dev/sda) had been formatted using linux ex2, so I reformatted my SDHC card to ext2 and now fortunately I can shut the machine down.

jcm, Sep 19, 2008
  5. jccguays

nwahsssor

My question is how do you see a usb drive? I plugged one in and I have no idea where to find it.

nwahsssor, Sep 19, 2008
  6. jccguays

rbil

It should automount and appear in the filemanager (Thunar). Just open any of the directores, such as My Files and it should show up in the left pane of the filemanager.

Remember to right-click on it and unmount it before pulling it from your computer.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 20, 2008
  7. jccguays

davexz

Just to confirm that a 16gb Patriot SDHC works fine as Storage Expansion.

davexz, Sep 23, 2008
Ask a Question